Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Small Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Small Basic Stamp

limliklimlik Posts: 23
edited 2010-12-12 12:42 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a smaller version of the Basic Stamp 2 or a good alternative? I know programming in basic·and very little in assembly so I would rather stick with basic. I need the power of the BS2 but in a smaller package. I can learn other things if needed. I have a month for my project.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-19 16:49
    The BS2 is a 24-pin wide DIP with 2K of eeprom and only 26 Bytes of RAM -- I don't think you're going to find a much "smaller" package. You COULD program on a native PIC processor, but just getting the hardware and software together for a programming board could take 2 to 4 weeks.

I'd stick with a BS2 on a Board Of Education if all you've got is a month.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-19 18:07
    The BS2 is about as small as they get. It has a 5V regulator on the module that can supply up to maybe 50mA. If that's enough for your project, you really don't need much else and you could build your project around a 24-pin socket. You could provide the programming connection via a tiny 3-pin plug with the few extra parts (two capacitors and a DB9 socket) on the other end of the 3-wire cable.

Keep in mind that the BS2 module includes the processor, clock source (resonator), EEPROM, PC programming interface, and voltage regulator and can operate by itself. The Board of Education provides a socket for the BS2 module, a reset and power switch, a breadboard area with convenient access to the BS2 I/O pins and power, high current (1A) voltage regulator, and DB9 programming socket (or USB adapter).
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-19 18:08
    What would you call 'small' and remember the stamp has other parts you would have to add if you just used a chip like the picaxe or avr.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-10-19 18:35
    One of the smallest BS2 packages is the BS2 OEM.
    It only takes a short time to assemble.

www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampOEM/tabid/135/CategoryID/10/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/21/Default.aspx

humanoido
  • limliklimlik Posts: 23
    edited 2009-10-19 22:30
    I have Pic chips and a Pic Programmer. The issue I run into is the number cap. I need to do math on the chip in the thousands. From my understanding the chips I have can only reach 255, yet I need to do calculations that deals with numbers in the thousands. The size issue is that the contest scoring I am in hits hard for weight. I think my 16f88's may be able to do this, but I need to learn a bit more.

Post Edited (limlik) : 10/19/2009 10:41:44 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-19 23:08
    You need to do multiple precision arithmetic.· You might check the PIC support forums (on Microchip's website) for examples.· Essentially it works like doing decimal arithmetic by hand except the digits go from 0-255 instead of 0-9.· You add two numbers in the same column together and carry a one if the result is 10 or greater.· Similarly, you carry a one if the result is 255 or greater.· The PICs automatically set their carry flag if there's a carry and you can add it automatically into the next "column" using an "add with carry" instruction.
    edited 2009-10-20 14:35
    I understand the 16F88 is quite a capable chip -- Mike has it right, you need multiple-byte precision arithmetic. What language are you using? It sounds like PIC assembler, because most higher level languages like C or Pascal (or even Basic) support 16-bit numbers.
  • limliklimlik Posts: 23
    edited 2009-10-29 00:16
    I got my chips mixed up :P. The 16f88 is a whole lot like the Basic stamp. 16 bit and everything.
  • pavel89lpavel89l Posts: 1
    edited 2009-10-29 06:57
    Hi there everyone, I'm not sure if I'm writing this in a right spot but I want to make timer that would not drift or change timing once battery starts to drain down. And I want timing to be adjustable, or programmable. I know RC circuit will not work for me...

Any help I would appreciate.
    edited 2009-10-29 13:00
    Nope, thread hijacking. Start your own thread please.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-10-29 21:25
    limlik:

If size is your only consideration, have a look at http://www.kronosrobotics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=278

Kronos has some interesting items, their Athena chips are tiny & their simplest, more like a BS1, in an 18-pin DIP package. Their DIOS & Dios pro are bigger and more capable. They are cheap, they program in BASIC, and execute very fast.·I have experimented with them, and they have some great commands and built-in routines (reading IR remote signals·via a single command is da BOMB). I have also·tried BasicX, Basic Atom, and Atmel processors. But I always reach for the Basic Stamps first...

The Stamps·are older and slower, but support-wise, you can't do better than Parallax. These forums are solid GOLD and the combined brain power available here·is phenomenal. The propeller is mind-blowing; I haven't delved into that yet, that's a few projects away.

If you only have a month to do a project, which includes learning how to hook up to your PC and how to program, I wouldn't consider anything but Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • mdjetmdjet Posts: 8
    edited 2010-12-08 22:43
    allanlane5 wrote: »
    The BS2 is a 24-pin wide DIP with 2K of eeprom and only 26 Bytes of RAM -- I don't think you're going to find a much "smaller" package. You COULD program on a native PIC processor, but just getting the hardware and software together for a programming board could take 2 to 4 weeks.

I'd stick with a BS2 on a Board Of Education if all you've got is a month.

Do we need to have the BOE? I have the same question as 'limlik'. I thought just a BS2 is good enough, am I correct?
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-12-08 23:15
    Msjet, you can use the BS2 module by adding a regulated power supply and a programming circuit. You'll still need a way to connect to the pins. A breadboard or BOE is a good choice. You could choose a small printed circuit board and add connectors. Remember to use a socket with the BS2 module.
    edited 2010-12-09 09:23
    You don't need to have the BOE. It just has some convenient resources on it. The only external parts that you need to have for the Stamp are two capacitors and a DB-9 connector for programming. You only need these while you're programming the Stamp. They don't have to be on whatever board you're using. The Stamp Manual has a schematic showing how things have to be connected for programming.
  • bytedude1bytedude1 Posts: 9
    edited 2010-12-12 12:42
    You could probably use a pic16f84 they're extremely small