Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"New Poster" - Basic Stamp Questions — Parallax Forums

"New Poster" - Basic Stamp Questions

bill212bill212 Posts: 2
edited 2009-10-18 05:00 in BASIC Stamp
I have a few question that I would like to have answered before I commit to purchasing the basic stamp. Hopefully someone can help answer them for me.

Is there a limit to what you can program using the Basic Stamp...

For ex:

1) Does the Basic Stamp show you to program your own blank micro-controllers, so you can put it in your own creations without it depending on the basic stamp. (I want to use the inexpensive PIC micro controllers in my creations, not the basic stamp)

2) Can I create a code using the Basic Stamp to do a certain movement(for example: I would like to make a code so I can make a motor spin 4-5 times, and then do the same in reverse), then transfer that code into a blank micro controller, so I can put that micro controller into a product that I am making.

3) Does the Basic Stamp teach you how to make your own codes, or do you use the codes on the Parallax website. How do you learn how to make your own codes.

4) Do I need a separate programmer to program the blank micro-controllers so I can put it in my creation, or does the basic stamp to everything.

5) What ages would you say this is recommended for (difficulty)

Thanks in advance.........

Post Edited (bill212) : 10/17/2009 8:24:31 PM GMT

Comments

• AJ ScottAJ Scott Posts: 9
    edited 2009-10-17 20:38
    First to dispell an apparent misconception that you seem to have.

1. The stamp is an interpreter. Much as the program PBasic.exe is an interpreter to allow Win32 to execute PBasic instructions. A Stamp user's program is pnemonic tokens and uservalues the interpreter's assembly code uses to guide its execution.
    2. Parallax basic is not machine code and is not machine executable. You could preprogram EEProms for use with OEM stamps.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-17 20:46
    1) No. Although some of the Basic Stamp models use a PIC, they are not PICs and you cannot do what you would like. There is a relatively inexpensive version of the Basic Stamp (Basic Stamp OEM) that you can use, but you cannot use an ordinary blank PIC

2) No. You can't transfer the code from a Basic Stamp to anything else, not even another Basic Stamp (with some exceptions). Programs are downloaded from the Stamp Editor to a Stamp.

3) There are all sorts of tutorials and other resources (examples, documentation of completed projects, etc.) There's a detailed manual explaining each statement with lots of examples including how to use the Stamp Editor which includes an editor and the Stamp Basic compiler.

4) The Basic Stamps are designed to connect directly to a PC serial port for programming and debugging. The Stamp Editor will download your program to the Stamp's EEPROM where it will stay until overwritten by another program. You can leave the Stamp connected to the PC for debugging or disconnect it for use (In-circuit programming).

5) Probably middle school and up. Some things would be suitable for an upper level elementary school science project. It all depends on the amount of supervision.

Stamps are more expensive than a simple PIC (or other) microcontroller. You get a module that includes a voltage regulator, resonator (for clock frequency stability), EEPROM for program storage, and a simple interface to an RS232 serial connection for programming and debugging. In addition to that, you get the Parallax Basic interpreter pre-programmed into the PIC's ROM and the Stamp Editor for compiling Stamp Basic programs into the interpretive code used by the Stamp's interpreter. You get a huge amount of tutorial information and examples, developed for an educational audience over many years. The hardware and software are well made and supported by Parallax.
  • bill212bill212 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-10-17 21:08
    ^^^ Thanks for the reply.......

So then, what program would be the easiest and fastest to learn to help with my questions/situation. (Programming blank micro-controllers to control stepper motors, etc)
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-10-18 01:39
    bill212 said...
    ^^^ Thanks for the reply.......

So then, what program would be the easiest and fastest to learn to help with my questions/situation. (Programming blank micro-controllers to control stepper motors, etc)

The easiest and quickest and one of the most inexpensive method's to solve your problem is the Parallax Basic Stamp. Radio Shack and Parallax both sell the "What's a Micontroller" kit for around $100 - which includes a text book, parts, BS2 Homework board and cables - everything you need. Radio Shack had this package on sale for $80 a few weeks ago - don't know if it's still on sale.

If you really want to start with an unprogrammed PIC chip, Google 'PicBasic'. You'll find bundles equivalent to the What's a Microntroller kit for around $180. There's a higher startup cost for this setup, because of the $99 PicBasic compiler. By comparison, Parallax BASIC software for programming their Stamps is a free download.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-18 05:00
    Remember that stepper motors can not be controlled directly from any micro that I know of without external hardware.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen