Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WiFi Module for BOE — Parallax Forums

WiFi Module for BOE

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2009-10-18 17:05 in BASIC Stamp
Parallax Folks--

Some time back, when everyone was suggesting new products for you to produce, a WiFi module for the BOE was mentioned by Ken Gracey, I think. Has there been any further thought on that product?

It would sure make a lot of folks very happy.

Thanks!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-16 04:12
    Ken has mentioned that there will be a WiFi module. He just hasn't mentioned how it's going or given a timeframe for "product-hood".
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-10-16 13:23
    Mike--

Yes. That is what I would like to know.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-10-16 14:45
    Hey Bill and Mike,

Yes, we have one engineer fully dedicated to this product design and nothing else. His current schedule puts it in production around December, but I know enough about this project to say that's not going to happen. Lots of schedules have been floating around the office. My job is to help keep the engineer free of other distractions.

The product is a WiFi module that fits on a BOE to enable PC to Stamp programming and serial I/O. The product is based on the GainSpan GS1010 if you're interested in looking it up. It's a dual-ARM core with a fairly complex development tool chain. The particular module we're developing will mimic the PC's side of the Stamp/Propeller programming scheme. Cost will be fairly high because the chip itself is at least 2x the cost of a Propeller, but it seems that it will do everything we need it to. You'll be able to communicate with a microcontroller connected to a WAP anywhere in the world, or wirelessly from your WiFi-enabled laptop.

Not sure what you're looking for, Bill, but maybe this will fit your needs. We've got a lot of R&D time in this project.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2009-10-16 15:25
    Ken--

Good for you guys! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    KEN SAID . . . or wirelessly from your WiFi-enabled laptop
    I jointed this forum over three years ago looking for EXACTLY that product. Of course, in the meantime I became trapped in your plan to dominate Planet Earth with great products and even better support.

Pretty sly thinking, I would say.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-10-16 21:51
    Hey Bill,

Well, hopefully you have a bunch of friends on this forum who are also interested in this product. We considered Bluetooth but took the WiFi route due to much wider capabilities. But wow, this design gets complex quickly. Requires firmware, PBASIC IDE changes, and an FCC-certified design. A big project for us. . .but we've got a good engineer running it who has ambitious plans.

Thanks for hanging around while we work on this one.

Ken
    edited 2009-10-17 01:43
    Ken--

Hang around? Ha! You couldn't RUN me off!

I believe this product will become a favorite of everyone that wants a microcontroller to perform microcontroller duties and a microcomputer to perform microcomputer duties. This new product will allow the two to be combined in ways not possible with Parallax products, previously, and in the best supported version of BASIC for microcontrollers in existence.

I used a Class I Bluetooth setup to do the same thing, but doubtless much slower. Plus, it had nowhere near the range of a WiFi device. Of course, it was highly robust, which is a huge plus. Forgive the implied assumptions concerning a product not yet in existence!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • TomvnTomvn Posts: 103
    edited 2009-10-18 15:55
    i very happy to hear that , i am waiting on it.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-10-18 17:05
    Ken

As Ozzy would say " OH YEA!! "

WiFi is the ultimate wireless communication set-up going bar none in my Opinion

I have 4 desktops and two laptops, All on a wireless WiFi LAN. One of My desktops is up at the barn 500 feet away from the wireless router/sw. The router/sw is inside the house and I still get a great signal 500' feet away.

The offer still stands. " Two of the Best Beta testers out there, Bill C. and W.Mc.". We pretty much have at least one of everything Parallax has to offer,And projects already made that can easily be retooled to use the new WiFi device.

____Sign me up for WiFi__________$WMc%______________________OH YEA!!________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA