Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
J2534 Protocol — Parallax Forums

J2534 Protocol

TheComputerCrewTheComputerCrew Posts: 6
edited 2009-10-16 17:24 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to utilize the basic stamp to communicate to a vehicle ECM, interpret that data, then broadcast it via WLAN. At that point I will use my iphone and an application to make use of that data. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Will this type of project require a propeller?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-16 05:24
    More info. what is the output of the ecm and how do you plan to hook up wlan? Parallax does not at this time have wlan capabilities. I'd start with the propeller since it would be easier than changing when you deceide the stamp won't do what you want. You need to do some research and give us specifics if you want help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-10-16 05:47
    In the past, I did some in depth research about the CAN protocols which are used on automotive ECM's and similar.

Although the Stamp could probably handle the information, I think the Propeller would be better suited, due to the speeds.

I know the protocols back when i was researching were expensive to obtain the specifications........wonder how expensive that is now.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Please note: Due to economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. Thanks for your understanding.
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-10-16 08:30
    why do people insist on using acronyms for everything. wtf is ECM?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-10-16 16:43
    TheComputerCrew I bought a product called auto ingenuity its a scanner that does ODB and CAN but it uses wireless cards so one wireless card goes into the car's ECU and the other connects to the scanner I did some hacking and got it to work sending me ODB/CAN parameters wireless to a laptop so my race runs can be monitored and logged if you dont need the scanner I beleive the Wireless cards were less than 150 dollars including the ECM connector and I have somewhat deciphered the CAN code being broadcast if any of this is something that can help you drop me a line and will share what I have
    Mike
    Oh computer crew sorry I used a basic stamp 2 but it would be fine a prop chip and to be honest probably cheaper with a prop but you really do not need that much HP to do this. after I wrote this one of the guys I race with is here and told me he thinks there is already an app for the Iphone search on the Mopar forums he said for Iphone apps

DEV/Null ECM stands for Electronic Control Module. its basically just the car's computer system

Post Edited (mikediv) : 10/16/2009 4:49:03 PM GMT
  • TheComputerCrewTheComputerCrew Posts: 6
    edited 2009-10-16 17:24
    Thanks everyone for your responses;

Franklin; Technically WLAN is a generic term used to describe two or more devices communicating by some wireless method. This would include bluetooth which is the protocol I plan to use to broadcast and receive data.

dev/null; Mikedev is correct on what the acronym stands for. As to your first question, although rhetorical, acronyms such as this one are the industry standard and the best means for communicating between all parties involved.

Mikedev; That sounds just like what I need. However I am very stubborn and want to do it all myself. I do have some more info on the CAN protocols. I'll post that as soon as I organize everything I currently know. The app for the iphone is called "rev". I want to build something a little more comprehensive. The J1850 protocol is used to listen or read only the diagnostic signals representing sensor data from the engine. The J2534 protocol os the read/write protocol that will allow flashing of the EEPROM on the ECM. The latter is what I want to do.

James Long; When you say "Obtain the specs" on the CAN protocols, does that mean to know the voltages required? I seem to know what needs to be done. Just not how to do it.
    My goal is to:

1. Communicate with the Chrysler ECM of a third generation (2003-07) 5.9L cummins via a cable that will plug into the OBD II port inside the truck and then broadcast the data over bluetooth.
    2. Connect iphone to bluetooth and, via an app that I will create, monitor trouble codes and diagnostic data as well as perform "on-the-fly" tuning adjustments to the data tables within the EEPROM for performance.