Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to power the bs2 oem — Parallax Forums

How to power the bs2 oem

BadgerBadger Posts: 184
edited 2009-10-14 21:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hello

is 9v at 300 mA to the vin and ground to the vss to much voltage and amps for this board to handle for testing and programing.

After that i would want to use a 9 volt battery for this is this ok as well

Badger
Phil

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-10-14 16:43
    A 9V battery wired to Vin will work just fine. I've done it quite a few times. Be sure to wire it to Vin and not to Vdd!

From the documentation:

Powering up your OEM-BS2 – There are two ways in which you can power your OEM-BS2:
    1) You may apply 6-24VDC to the Vin pin (and ground to the Vss pin)
    – OR –
    2) You may apply regulated 5VDC to the Vdd pin (and ground to the Vss pin)
    Please note that these two methods are mutually exclusive: do one or the

other, but never both!

• BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2009-10-14 16:45
    Sylvie369

Thanks so much.. for your time and effort. I hope the rest of the day goes well for you

Badger
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-14 16:56
    Keep in mind that the higher the voltage (Vin), the more heat the regulator has to dissipate. If you're just experimenting with the BS2 and maybe an LED or two, that's fine. If there's much more current draw than that, you should keep the input voltage lower, more like 7.2V or 7.5V. Also keep in mind that a 9V alkaline battery has relatively little capacity and is an expensive way to power something like a Stamp for long periods of time (unless you're actually building a datalogger or other low power application and have made provisions to keep the current drain low).
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2009-10-14 17:05
    Mike

Thanks man .. wish i had a brain for all of this ... i can build servers and set up ip networks all day long but this is so much different .. thanks for your patience and your valuable time

Phil
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-10-14 21:25
    Badger said...
    Mike

Thanks man .. wish i had a brain for all of this ... i can build servers and set up ip networks all day long but this is so much different .. thanks for your patience and your valuable time

Phil
    I didn't know any of this stuff a year ago either. Just keep reading Mike's posts, and you'll be an expert in no time.