Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bs2 not working — Parallax Forums

bs2 not working

BadgerBadger Posts: 184
edited 2009-10-14 19:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello

I have a board of education with a bs2px chip .. the 1121a5 chip gets real hot when turned on. have tried it in 2 different boards. does this mean my cpu has gone bad could i replace this chip on the cpu to fix or is it toast. Please if you would give me some insight in to this.. thanks in advance

Badger
Phil

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-14 15:50
    I'm not positive, but I think the hot chip is the voltage regulator. If it's hot, you may be running the BoE from a fairly high voltage power supply (maybe 9V to 12V) and the poor voltage regulator has to dissipate all the excess voltage (above 5V) as heat. The BoE is supposed to be run with a power source from 6V to 9V. It's usually better to use a 7.5V "wall-wart" or a 7.2 or 7.5V battery pack than something higher.
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2009-10-14 16:01
    Thanks for the info

i am using a 9v 300 mA wall mount power supply that comes with the hydra board. is this not a good power supply to use.

and by the way i cant get the boe to be reconized by the editor as well

badger

Phil
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2009-10-14 16:04
    Mike

Hay how are you doing today .. hope all is well ..

hey the chip that is heating up has 4 pins on each sice and is closest to the letters bs2px

badger
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-14 17:04
    Make sure that you have a current version of the Stamp Editor (download a fresh copy and re-install it).

Make sure the connection between the PC and Stamp are ok. If you're using a USB BoE, make sure you have the FTDI USB driver installed. The default Windows driver won't work for programming. If you're using some other USB to serial adapter with a serial BoE, it may not be capable of programming a Stamp.

Make sure the BS2px is installed correctly and all of the pins are in the socket.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage between Vdd and Vss. It should be 5V within about 5%.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2009-10-14 19:19
    Badger Phil,

I had the same issue over the weekend - a "too-warm-to-me" regulator on a BS2. I checked the output from the "9V" wall wart available from the Parallax store and found that it was providing 13V under the load of my project and close to 17V with no load. Obviously it's not a regulated DC power supply.

Later,

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Instead of:

"Those who can, do.· Those who can't, teach." (Shaw)
    I prefer:
    "Those who know, do.· Those who understand, teach." (Aristotle)
    ·