Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ideas on how to build container that measures its contents — Parallax Forums

ideas on how to build container that measures its contents

null bitnull bit Posts: 2
edited 2009-10-13 03:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I'm planning on building a coffee container that will send me a text message (or some other alert) when I need to buy more beans. Then down the line have different types of containers that will communicate with a central server; this will enable me to build a web portal to display a shopping list, or have the list sent to my phone, etc. My expertise is on the software side so I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to go about measuring the amount of coffee beans left in the container. I looked a the flex force sensor; and I don't think it will be sensitive enough for this application; the difference in pressure from full to alert level is probably around 1 lb or less. The Ping sensor may work or the sides of the container may distort the results. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-10-13 00:50
    null bit

The Ping will measure the distance in a container.But I think the Flex Force sensor would fit this app. I believe that the Flex Force sensors can be series together for better resolution. I not positive.

______$WMc%_______

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-13 02:00
    It all depends on what you want to spend. you can get scales for $30 that you should be able to hack or go for the turnkey system for $100 or more. Or you could build your own with a spring and pot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-10-13 02:25
    Go simpler. Use an IR detector and IR led -- most of the time the beans will "break the beam"; when the beans get too low, the beam will be "unbroken". You can do a test over some rough time period (say 20 minutes) and see if the beam stays unbroken -- indicating stable bean level below the detector/emitter line. An advantage here is you can put the detector and led outside (transparent) areas of the bean container so that bean crumbs, oils, etc. don't affect your sensors. Or you can drill holes for the emitter nub and the detector nub, then seal back around it w/hot glue or similar.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • null bitnull bit Posts: 2
    edited 2009-10-13 03:20
    Thanks, for the ideas! I think I'll try the IR detector/led scheme, seems like a cheap and easy solution.