Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper motor pulse output to stepper driver with microstepping — Parallax Forums

Stepper motor pulse output to stepper driver with microstepping

pedped Posts: 1
edited 2009-10-12 14:57 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking at using the STAMP to control a stepper driver that has adjustable microstepping.
Questions/comments:
1) what is the fastest pulse output? I am looking for about 50k which is what a Keyence KV-300 PLC has.
2) I assume the fastest output would be roughly the instructions/sec spec. True?
3) Should I be·looking at something else for stepper control?
4) I need micro stepping because I want smooth control.
thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-12 14:57
    1) A PULSOUT statement or HIGH / LOW statement pair both take 200 to 300us to execute on a BS2 which would give you a best pulse rate of about 4K and that doesn't include loop statements which are slower.
    2) At best
    3) There are several peripheral processors for handling steppers like www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/MotorServoControllers/tabid/160/CategoryID/35/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/68/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName. They still wouldn't give you the rate you want. A Propeller can give you the sort of rate you want, but you would have to provide your own stepper driver which could be as simple as a couple of power transistors and their associated resistors and diodes, etc. Other Stamp models (like the BS2px) are much faster (like 20K/sec), but still not fast enough to do what you want.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 10/12/2009 3:02:29 PM GMT