Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need photo of wiring from BOE with BS2 to RFID Reader & LCD — Parallax Forums

Need photo of wiring from BOE with BS2 to RFID Reader & LCD

nraainraai Posts: 7
edited 2009-10-13 15:52 in BASIC Stamp
Who has a photo of how they successfully connected a BOE with a BS2 to a RFID Reader #28140 and displayed the results ona #27977 LCD. Lastly I want to open a high voltage relay when the RFID tag is read. Has anyone done this and do you have a picture of the wiring? Do you have the program code for this too? Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-11 16:36
    1) You've posted your message in the wrong forum. This forum is for people to share information on projects they've completed so others will be able to learn from them. In the future, use the Stamp forum for this sort of question.

2) Parallax provides extensive examples of the use of their products including diagrams showing how to connect them and sample code. Generally this information is provided as links on the product page in their webstore. Look up the RFID reader and LCD in the webstore and follow the links provided. There are other examples in the various Stamps in Class tutorials and in the Nuts and Volts columns. In particular, Nuts and Volts column #6 shows how to control relays with a Stamp.

Start with the "Resources" tab on the main Parallax webpage. When you click on that, you'll get another page with a link to the Nuts and Volts Columns index and a link "Downloads & Press". If you click this latter link, you'll see the downloads page. Click on "Stamps in Class Downloads" to get an index to the various tutorials available from Parallax. "What's a Microcontroller?" is useful as well as the "StampWorks Manual".
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-10-11 18:25
    This thread is being moved from the Completed Projects Forum to the BASIC Stamp Forum as it is offf topic in the original forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • nraainraai Posts: 7
    edited 2009-10-12 18:31
    I've·modified the attached code after reading my RFID tags and inserting their identifier numbers into it. How do I get the LCD to·light up as·part of this program so that the RFID transaction will display on the LCD?

Thanks, Bob
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-10-12 18:37
    Bob,

Do you have a serial LCD screen? If so, which baud rate is it set to? what I/O pin is it being used on? Can you get the program to run correctly as is using the DEBUG terminal?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-12 18:44
    Yes, it is a serial LCD Screen, backlit #27977. I get the sample RFID reader program from your website to read the tag and display the tag name in the debug terminal just fine.

I just need that same information to display on the LCD. I have the RX pin of the LCD connected to Pin 12 on the BOE.
    edited 2009-10-12 21:23
    Bob,

I'm seeing if I can get an example of some code that will help you out. Please be patient while I look for the example; I understand you are on a timeline and it is of great urgency, however failed to mention that the “same day timeline” for custom programs is rarely the best approach. In the mean time, have you searched to see if anyone has completed this task by using the search at top of the page?

Thank you for your understanding and patience,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-12 21:59
    Been through all of the Nuts and Volts columns by now. Can't find a specific example of anywhere the LCD has been used with the RFID Reader. Some allude to it, but none actually show it.
    edited 2009-10-12 22:43
    Don't focus so much on how to use the serial LCD with the RFID reader.· It's just another serial display device.· Look at the examples of serial LCD usage to see what the various cursor positioning commands are.· Decide how you want the data from the RFID reader to look on the LCD screen, then figure out what display commands you'll need to do it (they're not hard).· Then you'd just use a SEROUT statement to send the data to the display.· I'm not sure what the default Baud is, but the documentation should be clear on that
    edited 2009-10-12 22:57
    Thanks Mike. Does pin 12 send the data to the display from the reader?
    edited 2009-10-12 23:35
    Bob,

Here is something that displays the label of the tags you provided. This should help get you started with some code that you're using. Please let me know if you do not get the information on the LCD screen; I will be watching the thread.

smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-13 09:12
    Is there some tricky little way to secure the wire ends into the breadboard better·in the event the devise flips over with a thump?
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-10-13 10:40
    Not without the use of glue... (non-inductive silicone for example)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
    edited 2009-10-13 15:52
    I sometimes use a dab of hot glue for this sort of problem. The advantage to the hot glue is that it sticks immediately, doesn't spread, and (most importantly) can be removed relatively easily.