Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
To Developers: Request PBASIC support for Eclipse (IDE) in Linux (specifically — Parallax Forums

To Developers: Request PBASIC support for Eclipse (IDE) in Linux (specifically

chiqueschiques Posts: 21
edited 2009-10-10 23:38 in BASIC Stamp
Dear Parallax Developers,

I'd like to first compliment you on your excellent documentation on all of your products. I'm able to find an example of anything I can think of in the syntax and reference book.

Now for my soap...

I basically do not like Windows and avoid it like sick people during flu season. I do really like Ubuntu Linux. I would like to know if you can release some support for an IDE such as Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) for Linux (similiar to gcc-hcs12.com/tutorials.php)? I am currently using the bstamp_tokenizer and bstamp_run (bstamp.sourceforge.net/) in Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04. The tokenizer does the job but it would be nice to have an advanced IDE to help with minor syntax issues and the ability to set shortcuts to scripts within the IDE.

P.S. I am part of a technical committee for our high school district, I'm pushing to diversify high school students insight on different platforms (besides M$) and this would be a great project/tutorial on how to use Basic Stamps using Linux.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-09 18:26
    Is not Eclipse open source? It would seem like anyone with some time and knowledge could integrate the two. hint, hint....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • chiqueschiques Posts: 21
    edited 2009-10-09 18:36
    Hi Stephen,

Yes, it appears Eclipse is open source. I am willing to give the time but unfortunately, I don't have the advanced knowledge to make that implementation. At this point, a text based instruction set would be adequate on how to use Eclipse with the tokenizer library.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2009-10-09 18:47
    The basic stamp IDE will run on Mandriva 2007 in WINE but, I never did figure out how to get it to pass things through to the serial port.
    Maybe Parallax could tweak things so it would run in WINE.
    www.winehq.org/
    -dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Arguing with myself--sometimes me, myself, and I don't always agree.
    (Former) Caterpillar product support technician

Post Edited (icepuck) : 10/9/2009 6:52:59 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-09 19:06
    Hi dan,

I've used WINE before. I used to use it to run some Steam games that used to interest me. I've also used QEMU (which runs IE much better than WINE). I've also found it very challenging using both of these tools when configuring any hardware within them. In my opinion, keeping everything but the libraries (tokenizer.so) open source/GPL would be more practical in a Linux environment. It makes troubleshooting much more pleasant.
  • velociostrichvelociostrich Posts: 40
    edited 2009-10-10 18:59
    I have successfully used the Parallax BASIC Stamp IDE under Wine on Ubuntu 9.04, but I then decided that I'd remove it and all of my other windows programs and use bstamp instead.

Unfortunately, bstamp_run refuses to work with my BS2pe entirely, transfers data extremely slowly, and works only part of the time with my BS2, so I decided that I'd re-install Wine and Parallax's IDE -- but it didn't work the second time around.
    icepuck said...
    The basic stamp IDE will run on Mandriva 2007 in WINE but, I never did figure out how to get it to pass things through to the serial port.

Did you make sym links?
    edited 2009-10-10 19:42
    Hi velociostrich,

No, I didn't try sym links. At that point I made the determination that if I was going to spend that much time troubleshooting, I would rather invest my time using the bstamp tools. Luckily that was the wiser choice, the bstamp tools have proven to be quite stable and consistent.
  • velociostrichvelociostrich Posts: 40
    edited 2009-10-10 23:38
    chiques said...
    No, I didn't try sym links. At that point I made the determination that if I was going to spend that much time troubleshooting, I would rather invest my time using the bstamp tools.
    It's not "troubleshooting", per se -- Wine doesn't know or attempt to find out what devices are supposed to correspond to which com ports; all you have to do is create a symbolic link.

If you're using a USB to serial adapter, it might look something like this:
    ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/COM1

... or like this if you're using an ordinary serial port:
    ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/COM1