Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy Bluetooth Module — Parallax Forums

Easy Bluetooth Module

Vincenzo1309Vincenzo1309 Posts: 76
edited 2009-10-15 00:33 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi, I am now working on a project using Bluetooth to control a robot from a PC. I am currently using the embedded Blu-Transceiver.
Now I would like to develop this robot further by using·mobile·phone to control this robot. As the·embedded Blu-Transceiver is only compilant with ver1.2 standard, the mobile phone·can't detect the transceiver.

For this robot, I am using the Board of Education.

Questions

1) Can the Easy Bluetooth·Module (30085)·achieve my goal of controlling the robot from a mobile phone?

2) Can I slot this module onto the BOE directly?

Kindly advise

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-09 02:24
    1) Probably not. The Easy Bluetooth Module provides an emulated serial port using a Bluetooth protocol for serial connections. I don't know of any mobile phones that support that without some programming of the phone (for programmable phones). I know that the iPhone doesn't support it.

2) Read the documentation. It shows you how (page 2).
  • Vincenzo1309Vincenzo1309 Posts: 76
    edited 2009-10-13 00:38
    Dear Mike,

For question 1, you said "I don't know of any mobile phones that support that without some programming of the phone (for programmable phones)."

Actually my intention is to program a mobile phone to control the robot. As for what kind of mobile phones, I would have to look for one.
    Should I be able to find one successfully, can I say that I can indeed control the robot with the mobile phone?

Kindly advise.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2009-10-13 01:11
    Take a look at some of the Google phones from T-mobile or verizon. Android is based off of linux, you can do just about anything in linux.
    Or you could try an iphone without their(apples) blessings.
    -dan
    developer.android.com/index.html
    www.android.com
    developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html#dev-phone-1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Arguing with myself--sometimes me, myself, and I don't always agree.
    (Former) Caterpillar product support technician
    edited 2009-10-13 05:03
    It's not just a matter of writing a program. The phone's OS has to support the particular Bluetooth protocol involved. I know that the iPhone doesn't support it and it can't be added without modifying the OS. I don't know enough about Android or other phone OS's to advise you there.
    edited 2009-10-14 00:27
    Hi Mike,

As I am a novice here, sorry to bother you again. But you said " The phone's OS has to support the particular Bluetooth protocol involved."

Does that mean that I need to find out what is the Bluetooth protocol for this Bluetooth module?

In terms of mobile phone's OS, I only know about Symbian phones, are there other OS available·as well?
    edited 2009-10-14 00:55
    The Easy Bluetooth module provides a protocol that simulates a bidirection serial port with control lines (handshaking). I don't remember offhand the name for the protocol and I don't have my computer handy. I think the module's documentation will tell you the name.

The Symbian has one operating system, the Android has another and the iPhone has yet another OS. The latter two are based on Unix, but they're quite different. There are others.
    edited 2009-10-14 03:39
    Dear Mike,

Thanks alot for your prompt reply.

Looks like there are alot of OS available.. I shall go and find out more then.
    edited 2009-10-14 03:49
    The following is the link from the Easy Bluetooth product page on Parallax's webstore page:

www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/comm/30085_Module_UserManualv.1.2a.pdf

This discusses several protocols (profiles). Some take care of pairing devices. Some take care of locating devices with certain characteristics. The protocol the implements data transfers is the Serial Port Protocol (SPP). This is what has to be implemented on the smartphone.
    edited 2009-10-15 00:33
    Dear Mike,

Thanks for the information..

Really appreciate it! [noparse]:)[/noparse]