Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting 2 boards — Parallax Forums

Connecting 2 boards

ChrisszChrissz Posts: 6
edited 2009-10-08 11:57 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I'm new here and I have some difficult questions right away... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm trying to connect two boards to each other and I just can't figure out how it works.
What I'm trying to do is using a RFID reader on one board and a robot with Ping))), gripper and line follower on the other board.

I want the board with the RFID to constantly check for Tags and if it finds one I want it to sent a signal to the other board so it will switch between navigating on Ping))) and the Line Follower.

I got a LED working on the 'robot board' which is being controller by the 'rfid board', but that's pretty simple by just using the breadboard from the Robot instead of the one from the RFID Board.

But my main problem is:
How do I send a signal (I/O) from a connection from one board to a connection on the other.
And how do I read this signal and DEBUG it?

I know it's a pretty weird question and I hope you understand what I mean.
My native language is Dutch so don't blame me for typo's please... tongue.gifconfused.gif

Comments

• dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-10-08 11:57
    Hi Chris and welcome to the forum!

I am assuming you can have wires between the two Stamps.

Here is a suggestion:
    1) Stretch a wire from PIN1 on Stamp1 to PIN1 on Stamp2, with a 1K resistor in series.
    2) Put a 10K resistor between PIN1 ---\/\/\--- Vss on Stamp2 (this will make the pin default LOW).
    3) On Stamp1, whenever you want to to navigate with Ping))), send "HIGH 1"
    4) On Stamp1, whenever you want to to navigate with Line follower, send "LOW 1"
    5) On Stamp2, check if PIN1 is low or high "IF IN1 = 1" or "IF IN1 = 0".

Also, Vss on Stamp1 should be connected to Vss on Stamp2 (no resistor needed).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy