Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-bot serial or usb — Parallax Forums

Boe-bot serial or usb

hacklordsniperhacklordsniper Posts: 3
edited 2009-10-09 20:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello to all. Generally i have been electronics for couple of years playing with analog electronics and designing stuff with it (mainly high voltage switch mode power supplies). I want to use this winter time to research and teach about micro controlers and discovered boe-bot.

I dont understand is there any difference between serial or USB version of boe-bot (except method of connection)? Generally i have a one old·pc with serial port too but its rarely used today, and serial-usb adapters dont work always like expected.

Its unclear to me why the serial version is still sold and not discontinued or im missing something.

Cant wait to recieve answer and order my boe-bot with alot of extra stuff to spend this winter hop.gif

P.S. EDIT: The only advantage i see over serial is·when controling·boe-bot connected with serial cable to PC is that the serial connector is much stronger, while USB connector·is generally more fragile.

Post Edited (hacklordsniper) : 10/8/2009 10:22:10 AM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-08 13:26
    The benefit of the serial version is that you can use that serial port for your own projects, while disconnected from your PC.

If your PC does not have a serial connection, an inexpensive ($20 or so) FTDI USB to Serial adapter can be used to program the BS2, then disconnected so the BS2 can run autonomously.

The USB version of the board has the FTDI USB to serial hardware built into the BOE. Thus the SERIN/SEROUT pseudo-port 16 is useless unless you have a PC attached.

This can be a very minor issue, since most people don't try to use "Port 16", so the convenience of one less piece of hardware (the USB to Serial Adapter) means more to them than being able to use "Port 16" with some other piece of hardware. Others really want to be able to use "Port 16", so they buy the serial version.
  • hacklordsniperhacklordsniper Posts: 3
    edited 2009-10-08 15:57
    Thank you for such clear answer from which i decided that i will buy the serial version "just in case".

However the hardware of both boards is completly same except the FTDI adapter soldered on board?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-08 16:16
    Yes, the USB BOE is the same as the Serial BOE except that FTDI adapter is built into the board.
  • hacklordsniperhacklordsniper Posts: 3
    edited 2009-10-09 20:01
    Thank you for such quick and detailed responses