Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RAM Module(What do you want in one?) — Parallax Forums

RAM Module(What do you want in one?)

mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
edited 2009-10-27 22:41 in Propeller 1
I designed a super prop but keeping to that form factor and high speed ram made it to expensive so I have started working on a more generic RAM module and am wondering what people would want in it.

So far I have 1Gbit RAM but I still have 100 IO pins free what would people like?

Mass Storage: SD
Video: DVI, VGA
Audio: Headphone Jack

Or IO Expander?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2009-10-02 12:41
    Before we can give you any sensible answer, we really need some idea how much this product is likely to cost. Otherwise we'd like all that you've highlighted!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

Announcement: To cut costs in the current economic climate, we have switched-off the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-10-02 12:59
    $120 is my target price. Nothing like MITs which is $900 for 1/8th the ram

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.

Post Edited (mctrivia) : 10/2/2009 2:39:25 PM GMT
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2009-10-02 13:21
    I/O expander would be nice to have.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2009-10-02 14:32
    @mctrivia, how about, you producing a WORKING board, before you start knocking other peoples stuff!
    edited 2009-10-02 14:35
    i have made many working boards(just not SDRAM modules yet). however you are correct i should not say bad things about others even if I have made one. I did not say anything about the quality or functionality of there board just that it is very expensive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2009-10-02 16:38
    How about a generic board for the "generic RAM module," and populate it according to the customer's need/desire? (of course, the price could vary.)

We used to have 5 different boards here at work until somebody caught on that the only difference between two pairs was.... the firmware! We now have 3 different boards, and are saving money and hassle.

--Rich
    edited 2009-10-02 16:41
    I do that with all my designs. But you need to plan what Pads to put on the pcb.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-04 14:57
    I have decided on a PCI Express header on 1 edge for main connection and if space permits morepheus header on other. Reasons is lots of pins and both surface mount and through hole headers are available cheap.

The big questions now are

512Mbit or 1Gbit
    164 or 96pin header

512Mbit is a lot of memory to start
    1GBit could run twice as fast but at additional expense and lowering io expandibility

164pin is 89mm long but could have over 100 pins for io expansion from propeller
    96pin is 56mm long meaning more compact board with still over 64 pins for io expansion

shorter board means cheaper for me to make and will fit more places.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-05 13:42
    If anyone would like to know in advance I am planning to use:

A1-1.8V
    B1-Vss
    A2-P0
    B2-P1
    A3-P2
    B3-P3
    A4-P4
    B4-P5
    A5-P6
    B5-P7
    A6-VSS
    B6-BOE
    A7-RES
    B7-3.3V
    A8-P8
    B8-P9
    A9-P10
    B9-P11
    A10-P12
    B10-P13
    A11-P14
    B11-P15

This arrangement makes connecting to prop very simple through the main part of the pci express header. The second half of header can be used for other stuff. I am not set on this so if you have a design you may want to use my module for please speak up.

1.8V is needed for my modules. i could include a regulator but since prop2 will have 1.8V header also i decided to include on pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

757 x 452 - 26K
  • TreeLabTreeLab Posts: 138
    edited 2009-10-05 15:56
    Pardon my ignorance here .., but would such a device be compatible with the codes that are being built by ImageCraft/Catalina and for the TriBlade systems? I have no idea how you would be doing the address latching and if it is designed to provide code memory or just addressable storage.
    Cheers!
    Paul Rowntree
    edited 2009-10-05 16:21
    It could if the vhdl was made compatible with them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-10-06 01:03
    I'm not sure if many would be able to use up as much ram as you propose. The computer I'm on right now has close to 300mb ram and it's running xp just fine. Also, with a cheaper price tag more people are likely to get it. If you get the price tag around the cost of the the propmod, I will be likely to buy one. I owe you for that anyway...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
    edited 2009-10-06 02:23
    propmod is not possible because the controller costs as much as the propmod.

I will try to make as cheap as i can but there are limits.

yes 1Gbit is likely way more then most will need for the prop. I am thinking I will probably scale down to only 512MBit and have more io and video capabilities on board instead.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• waltcwaltc Posts: 158
    edited 2009-10-06 03:03
    Cost, needs to be under a hundred bucks.

Secondly it will need to include memory diagnostics and the CPLD configured to handle LMM - IOW the end user just needs to turn it on and go and allow the user to treat the CPLD as a black box and not have to worry about mucking around verilog or vhdl code.
    edited 2009-10-06 03:21
    Ok will try to keep under 100.

Yes the system will be usable as a black box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-07 02:32
    I did not realize how small it was until i tried sticking a VGA jack on it and had to double the board height to get it on.

Board has:
    1GBit RAM
    16bit data bus
    72 expanded IO lines
    VGA output

I am still waiting for exact header details to hopefully place a morphius expansion header on it. if i don't get or it does not fit i will design an adapter board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

691 x 489 - 12K
    edited 2009-10-27 22:41
    512Mbit
    HDMI
    IDE Interface/LCD Breakout connector
    only 17 extra io on beta though. need more expensive pcb to make more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    691 x 561 - 59K