Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
controlling a fan using basic stamp2 — Parallax Forums

controlling a fan using basic stamp2

afifahafifah Posts: 1
edited 2009-10-01 19:39 in BASIC Stamp
hi,
i'm not familiar with this stuff and i don't have any basic· knowledge about an electronic...a little knowledge about programming in basic..
rite now i'm doing a project to control a fan with basic stamp 2..actually a speed of fan is controlling by a temperature...when a temperature is low the of fan is slow, and vice versa...and if the temperature is to high an alarm will sound to warning...·can u help me ..cry.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-01 19:03
    Most of the pieces are in various tutorials or magazine columns available from Parallax. Go to Parallax's main webpage and click on the Resources tab. On the next page, click on "Downloads & Press" to get to the downloads page or click on "Nuts and Volts Columns" to go to the index for the Nuts and Volts magazine columns on the Stamps. You'll find a number of columns on controlling motors (like fans) or reading temperature. Try column #6 and others. On the downloads page, go to "Stamps in Class Downloads" to find the tutorials like "What's a Microcontroller?" and "Basic Analog and Digital". The "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual" on the "Stamp Documentation" page describes the various statements and includes a lot of schematics and sample code.
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-10-01 19:39
    To control the fan you need to vary the voltage delivered to it. A typical way is to use an H-Bridge for this. There are specialized chips that have H-bridges built into them, or you can build your own with some transistors. Google "H-bridge circuit". You could also buy a DC motor controller to make things easy. Parallax has the HB-25, but there are hundreds of them in robotic stores around. You need to know the rated voltage of the fan, and the current it draws when it's running at top speed.

For temperature measurement, Parallax has different sensors: www.parallax.com/tabid/768/txtSearch/temperature/List/0/SortField/4/Default.aspx
    or you could get a DS1820.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy