Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp 2 kit — Parallax Forums

basic stamp 2 kit

SocklesSockles Posts: 6
edited 2009-10-01 05:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hey guys, new here.

I just received my new basic stamp 2 kit oem and I soldered it all together and now i want to transfer the chip from the programmer to the breadboard. the problem is just finding out what pins and wires i have to connect for it to turn on. any help would be appreciated. the chip is the PIC16C57C -20/p. I have the data sheet but cant figure it out.

So, i guess all im asking is how do i power the microcontroller on a breadboard separate from the programmer.

Post Edited (Sockles) : 9/30/2009 10:53:43 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-09-30 21:52
    Hello, please use the pencil icon to the top right of your message to edit and add a descriptive subject.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-30 22:21
    What programmer are you talking about? The PIC16C57 that comes with the OEM kit is already programmed with the PBasic interpreter. The kit instructions that you should already have (www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/oem/OEM-BS2-A2-V1.6.pdf) describe where to connect the power (on page 3). The Stamp itself is normally programmed through the DB-9 connector using a serial connection to the Stamp Editor running on a PC.

Download the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual from Parallax's website or refer to the help files for the Stamp Editor for details.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/30/2009 10:26:37 PM GMT
  • SocklesSockles Posts: 6
    edited 2009-09-30 22:58
    oh wow sorry, cant believe i forgot the subject. thanks, I have already programmed it, but i want to take it and put it in the breadboard and have it run alone from having it in the programmer.
    maybe i just repeated myself.
    edited 2009-09-30 23:04
    I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Do you have your own PIC16C57 that you've programmed yourself and you want to use the OEM kit as a power source / resonator / RS232 interface / external EEPROM or are you talking about the PIC16C57 that came with the OEM kit? Whichever, you just insert the PIC16C57 the way it's described in the kit instructions I previously mentioned and connect up a power source as described on page 3 of the kit instructions.

The picture on the first page of the instructions shows the 28-pin DIP package orientation. There's a dot next to pin 1 and that lead goes in pin 1 of the 28-pin socket as described.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/30/2009 11:10:29 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-30 23:24
    im talking about the PIC16C57, I do not want to use the OEM kit as a power source instead i want to use a 9V battery and an LM7805 to bring down the voltage. I ultimately want to power 6 LEDs each one would have its own pin. and place it on my mini bike.

I've got all the programming done.
    edited 2009-09-30 23:41
    You're still not explaining what the OEM kit has to do with anything.

The OEM kit is designed to hold a PIC16C57 that's programmed for use as a Stamp with the Stamp interpreter. It provides a resonator, a 5V regulator, a 2K byte EEPROM, and a DB-9 socket with some parts designed to provide a limited RS232 level converter. The EEPROM and level converter are intended specifically for use with the Stamp interpreter.

If you just want to run some LEDs using a PIC, there are much easier PICs to use that have their own internal clock. The PIC12F629 has 6 I/O pins and requires no external components. It can run from a power supply anywhere from 2V to 5.5V, so you could use an unregulated 4.5V supply (3 AA alkaline cells) and leave out the regulator entirely. All you'd need would be the LEDs and their current limiting resistors (and the PIC).
    edited 2009-09-30 23:52
    ok yeah, forget the OEM kit. so your saying that the PIC I have now requires external components. but the PIC12F629 I could just hook power(2-5.5V), LED's and resistors and it will work. Sorry to put you through this.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-10-01 00:05
    PIC's require a programmer. The BS2 OEM cannot program PIC's.

If you want more info on PIC's, I suggest you visit www.microchip.com/
    edited 2009-10-01 00:24
    I also have a PIC programmer.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-10-01 01:11
    I'll take a shot at this. Sockles I have the homework board and the OEM basic stamp2 .. If you want to take the Pic chip which is the basic stamp basically off the OEM board then you will just have a plain 28 pin PIC chip while this chip still has the Pbasic code built into it
    to be able to use the Plain chip you need to be able to talk to it so that's why the OEM board and the other boards have support chips you can run the OEM plain PIC chip on its own but then you would need to load a program into it before hand
    so if I am correct what you could do is take your OEM basic stamp 2 board with serial port interface I assume write your program for the LEDs or whatever you want then take the chip off the board and wire it up the same way to your LEDs and it should work without the other support chips. Don't forget to use appropriate pull up or down resistors and some external eeprom if you used it on the OEM board
    edited 2009-10-01 01:23
    Sockles,
    Yes. I did overlook one thing ... Only 5 of the I/O pins can be outputs. One of the 6 available I/O pins can only be used as an input. If you must have 6 separate LEDs, you could use a PIC16F690 instead that comes in a 20-pin package. I'm sure there are other PICs you could use, but those are the ones I'm familiar with.
    edited 2009-10-01 02:03
    The PIC16F690 will be perfect, I can then do many more things. Thanks you guys. And sorry for the frustration, as you can see I suck at trying to explain things clearly. I almost made a picture lol.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2009-10-01 05:45
    Just as an fyi, the program you write for a BS2 is stored in the external eeprom, not in the PBasic interpreter. That PIC contains only the PBasic interpreter program which is preloaded by Parallax.

A minimum setup using OEM parts would require the PBasic interpreter PIC, a resonator, the eeprom for program storage and a 5 volt power supply. You would have to have your program already loaded into the eeprom somehow (such as by using the OEM board or some kind of bread-boarded setup that included the programming interface).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick