Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flow control question — Parallax Forums

Flow control question

HermieHermie Posts: 36
edited 2009-10-01 01:23 in BASIC Stamp
I've completed a protoboard for a weather monitor, using 4 basic stamps. Now I'm cleaning it up with PCB123 and eliminating the ratnest. All 4 stamps are connected to each other·via serin/out. My understanding of flow control and clock are one in the same thing, assuming this is correct, I'm thinking I should tie the flow control/clock pins together on all 4 stamps instead of seperate, like my protoboard. In addition sharing the same clock connection with the ds1302 and sht11 with the stamps. Is this a good idea, or should every device have a·seperate clock?

Still learning!...hermie

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-09-30 17:25
    Hermie,

You can probably share a Clock line, but will have to have a method of Chip Selecting (CS) the individual chip you want to talk to. The total controller pins used may not be that different in either case.

Note that Flow control is not (usually) the same as Clock. Flow control is a signal from the device back to the controller telling it that its either OK to transmit or Not OK to transmit.

If we had a look at a schematic, there would probably be more concrete suggestions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • HermieHermie Posts: 36
    edited 2009-09-30 18:25
    Alright Tom, based on your reply I'm not going to mess with it. The protoboard works fine, and I've got the pins to connect everything seperate. Not being formally taught, I wasn't for sure if having a flow control "party line" was the prefered method or not.· I'll leave it alone....Thanks Tom

Hermie
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-09-30 19:45
    Just curious - why do you need 4 processors?
  • HermieHermie Posts: 36
    edited 2009-10-01 01:23
    Too many variables to get everything on one stamp, its doing a bunch of things and I long ago hit the roof of what one stamp was capable of. I wish I could gasp spin code as I probably could get everything on one prop but I can't. The plus though is I'm got plenty of room for expansion, as I keep finding more stuff to add to it.

hermie