Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
strange Unicode — Parallax Forums

strange Unicode

JR_301JR_301 Posts: 22
edited 2009-09-22 20:57 in Learn with BlocklyProp
just curious.

while running the program called Reusable_Password_checker.bs2 on page 293. I get some weird symbols i think are unicode that are displayed in the debug window when I type my password in really fast, why is this?

unigoof.PNG

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-09-19 14:37
    Sounds like you're typing faster than your code can handle the characters. Perhaps you're reading (and echoing) the characters one at a time?

The fact is that the BS2 can't actually recieve any data unless it's IN the 'SERIN' statement. Data being sent when the BS2 is NOT in a 'SERIN' statement is ignored. Data being sent when the SERIN statement begins can get garbled.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-20 02:55
    Asking for programming help without attaching your code is counterproductive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-09-20 07:19
    If you type while the BASIC Stamp is outputting, you will get weirdness like this. It's because the Stamp is hardwired to echo everything that comes in on its serial line, and it can do this while it's outputting its own serial data. When input data and output data merge like this, you get garbage.

-Phil
  • JR_301JR_301 Posts: 22
    edited 2009-09-22 20:57
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    If you type while the BASIC Stamp is outputting, you will get weirdness like this. It's because the Stamp is hardwired to echo everything that comes in on its serial line, and it can do this while it's outputting its own serial data. When input data and output data merge like this, you get garbage.

-Phil

Thats very interesting, Im wondering if this will pop up later on with robotics issues. 39.gif