Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can't hear my piezospeaker! — Parallax Forums

Can't hear my piezospeaker!

jaybee11jaybee11 Posts: 3
edited 2009-09-18 04:58 in BASIC Stamp
I can't hear the output of my piezospeaker although everyone else in the room can. Is there another type of easily obtainable speaker that can be used? If yes, does it connect the same way as the piezo? Does it respond to the FREQOUT command? Thanks.

Comments

• MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2009-09-17 15:23
    Look· at page·200 in the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual (or around·204 in the pdf-file you can·get from Parallax·downloads). On that page you will learn how to hook up an·amplifier or a speaker to your BS2 and then use it with FREQOUT.

Hope that helps!

Post Edited (Moskog) : 9/17/2009 3:29:04 PM GMT
  • RoboticsProfessorRoboticsProfessor Posts: 54
    edited 2009-09-18 04:33
    Sounds like a hearing exam with an audio expert might be next if everybody else hears it.

Also, try differenty frequencies. If you have a partial hearing loss, usually you lose the upper freqs first.
    Try a sequence like:
    ...etc. up to about

to see which you can hear best.

Also, somewhere on this site is an audio amplifier chip hooked up to a small speaker. My students are making that now and it should be much louder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Richard Vannoy

Programming and Electronics Instructor
    www.RichardVannoy.info
    ·
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-09-18 04:58
    Which Stamp are you using? If you are using a Project or Homework board, they have built-in resistors that limit current output and speaker volume.

Piezos are loudest at their own resonant frequency, usually in the higher frequencies . As Richard suggested above, I would suggest looping incrementally through a frequency sweep, but at a finer increment, like 100 hz at a time. You will probably find a small frequency range that sounds loudest to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."