Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
110 VAC power to stamp — Parallax Forums

110 VAC power to stamp

StevezilaStevezila Posts: 35
edited 2009-09-17 15:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
·I am looking for the best suited regulator to convert 110AC to 12VDC. I have several projects using a super carrier board that I will need to power.
I really hate the power adapters that plug into the wall and would rather do the converting inside the "box" on the SCB. Does anyone know of a converter/regulator and possibly a few other components that·I can·mount to the SCB·that will·be suitable for powering the SCB?

Thanks

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-09-17 12:54
    From the way the question is phrased, I must assume you are less experienced with higher voltage work.

You probably won't find a cheaper power supply thats also safety certified than the wall-wart style. If you have a look at industrial power supplys for use in electrical panels, there are hundreds available from DigiKey and Automation Direct. In most cases they are many times the size (and cost) of the SCB.

A compromise would be to use an enclosure big enough to hold the SCB and the wall-wart. The cord would just be an extension cord with the socket end inside the enclosure to plug the wall-wart into.

While I don't recommend it, if you want to build your own, for safety you'll need an isolating step-down transformer, a bridge rectifier, one or two large caps. The big disadvantage to the inexperienced is that you will (potentially)now have 120 VAC on a board that is designed for only low voltage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • StevezilaStevezila Posts: 35
    edited 2009-09-17 13:17
    ·DUH, I guess that your'e right. The SCB isn't made for 110VAC and there is no magic converter to make it happen. Probably also true that the cheapest way out is to go the "wall wart" route as you said. Thanks for the reply

Steven
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-09-17 15:46
    I've made my own power supply this way: Found an old radio and plucked out the transformer inside. You can find transformers in most household equipment. This transforms 240VAC to 12VAC. Then made a rectifier with 4 diodes and some capacitors. I've used FR604 rectifiers, so I can get 6 amps out. I'm experimenting with adding a choke (inductor) to get more stable output, but it's pretty good at the moment. From the output of the transformer, I have several switching regulators, to get 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 volts out with different amp ratings. I've also added a 12-24 volt step-up circuit, but the problem with that is the low current output. So I'm looking for a 24V transformer, which I know you can find in many printers.

Experimenting with mains voltage is dangerous and can be fatal, so I do not recommend this unless you know what you are doing. You should know what a bleeder resistor is, and always protect yourself properly. In CRT screens with damaged bleeder resistor, there can be up to 10.000 volts coming at you even if the power isn't plugged in!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy