Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamp found — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamp found

markdennismarkdennis Posts: 2
edited 2009-09-17 20:17 in BASIC Stamp
I am using winows vista and when I run the Run - Identify test I get yes on both the loopback and echo however when I try to run a program I get an error message saying No Basic Stamps Found.

Any help?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-16 13:25
    The Stamp has to carry on an active conversation with the PC for downloads to work. Loopback and echo are used to verify that there's a connection between the PC and the serial port on the Stamp, but not much else.

1) Have you applied power to the Stamp?

2) The timing in this "active conversation" is pretty tight. If you're using a USB to serial adapter, are you using a recent version of the Stamp Editor and the USB to serial driver? The default Windows driver will not work for this.
  • markdennismarkdennis Posts: 2
    edited 2009-09-16 13:48
    I do have power and I am not using an external USB to serial adapter.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-09-16 14:13
    Can you provide some details regarding your set up?· What type of power supply are you using?· What board are you using with the BASIC Stamp?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • aggiewonderaggiewonder Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-16 21:23
    I have the same problem...but it was working two weeks or so ago...

Basic Stamp II

Board of Education, serial version

When I "Identify", I get yes for loop and echo, but no Stamp is found.

Ideas?· I have tried both 9Vdc power supply and a fresh 9V battery.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-09-17 02:19
    If you have a laptop computer and a USB adapter

If you use DEBUG command in the top of you code routine

This may cause you some problems if you do not plug in the USB adapter first before powering up the Basic Stamp Board

If I do not do it this way my laptop think it is a mouse and will keep doing a·pinking sound unit I unplug it

or it will not see the Basic Stamp at all

I hope this help

On a different note some time if I open and close the DEBUG window· a lot I get a· memory module error I still can use it but after·a while

I have to reboot the computer because I just keep getting that error· when ever I close the Debug window

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 9/17/2009 2:25:20 AM GMT
  • StampMuseStampMuse Posts: 2
    edited 2009-09-17 18:03
    Hello all,
    I've been using the BS2 since around 2005 on OSX. I recently got a new laptop running 10.5.8. I tried on the old MacBS2 programming environment,
    but no stamp could be located. After trying with different stamps (Rev. G and original) AND downloading the newest environment and tokenizer AND
    following the advice below about plug and power orders, the computer STILL can't ID the stamp.

I'm powered up in the order defined below.
    My connection is good and I've tried a few different USB ports (The latest ProTools MBox only runs on the one closest to the power in)

and no luck.

Would be quite pleased for any other leads.

Stamp on, amigos.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-17 18:43
    To all "No Basic Stamp Found" people:

There's no magic to this. The Stamp has to be running for it to be found. It doesn't matter what's currently installed in the Stamp. The Stamp will be reset and whatever's there will be overwritten by the new program. If the new program is smaller than or the same size as the old one, the extra locations will not be changed. So, the Stamp has to be powered and it can't be "broken".

The download process requires that there be an intact serial connection between the Stamp Editor and the Stamp. This includes a receive data line, a transmit data line, and a DTR control line (connected to the Stamp's ATN line). The specific connections are shown in the Stamp Manual and there are sample circuits for the serial and USB versions of the Board of Education that you can download from Parallax.

The download process is time/speed sensitive. It won't work over a wireless link. It might not work via USB or via a USB to serial adapter if the buffering in the PC or adapter is set wrong. There's a description of this off a link on the main Parallax webpage under USB / VCP Driver Installer. At the bottom of that page is a link to another page for troubleshooting information. Some USB to serial adapters simply won't work for programming Parallax products. They don't implement DTR properly. Adapters based on the FTDI chipset seem to work fine and the Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter seems to work fine.

Make sure you have a current version of the FTDI USB to serial adapter driver. The one built into Windows does not work for downloading. Try the most recent version of the Stamp Editor or MacBS2 or re-install your current version.

If you've been able to program your Stamp before and it doesn't work now, you need to investigate what's changed. Check your power source including the cable. Check your serial cable and/or USB to serial adapter. Re-install your USB driver, especially if you've upgraded your operating system.

The Stamp Editor works. MacBS2 works (for everything but the BS2px ... the tokenizer has not been updated for that).

If you've done all that's suggested, call Parallax Tech Support. Maybe you have a broken Stamp or a bad Stamp board.
  • Redd DawgRedd Dawg Posts: 26
    edited 2009-09-17 20:11
    And this should be made a sticky

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • StampMuseStampMuse Posts: 2
    edited 2009-09-17 20:17
    Right. Stick it indeed. A new FTDI driver did the trick.