Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a source/pricing for manufacturing of a Stamp-based product — Parallax Forums

Looking for a source/pricing for manufacturing of a Stamp-based product

lwoodslwoods Posts: 5
edited 2009-09-15 15:17 in BASIC Stamp
We·have developed a Stamp-based product that·we need to get manufactured.· The assembly/manufacturing level would be about 200 to start, then growing from there.· Is there a source of potential assemblers/manufacturers that anyone knows of?

Also, we would also be looking a converting the product to a PIC-based product if the costs for manufacturing the Stamp-based product would be too high.

Ideas?

Thanks
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-15 14:50
    One of the members here, James Long (www.lil-brother.com/), does PCB assembly (parts placement, reflow soldering).

Have you looked at the OEM Stamp pricing? There's not a lot of difference between a plain PIC and an OEM Stamp in terms of parts. There's the PIC or SX, a resonator, and a cheap EEPROM. You'll need a regulated 5V supply in either event. All the parts that make up the programming interface can be made external with a 4-pin header for the connections. You only need the programmer for manufacturing and testing.

As for converting from a Stamp to using just a PIC, a plain PIC will always be cheaper hardware-wise than an OEM Stamp. Parallax has to charge for its intellectual property. You have to amortize your software conversion (redevelopment) costs.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/15/2009 2:57:18 PM GMT
  • lwoodslwoods Posts: 5
    edited 2009-09-15 15:17
    Thanks for the QUICK response, Mike.

I will continue and contact James. And, "No," I haven't really looked into the assembling much at this point (re: OEM). And, I am really not interested in moving to a PIC becuase of the conversion costs that you mentioned (although the PIC product is AMAZING for it's price!)