Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Long Range RFID — Parallax Forums

Long Range RFID

mtbphil1mtbphil1 Posts: 6
edited 2009-09-16 15:21 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible to modify the RFID reader in some way with an antenna or gain to increase the range from cm that it posts to 2m? I'd like to use it to detect a runner or bike rider past a finish line so I need it to read within a 6ft radius.

Thanks

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-15 03:52
    Not the one Parallax sells. There are other, more expensive units that will do that though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-09-15 06:20
    mtbphil1,

You may want to search online for a active RFID; however there is a company, www.cyntag.com that offers passive and active readers, tags and starter kits. It could be a good start to see what a unit like that would generally cost or the specifications for them. I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-09-15 16:11
    Hello,

It seems that most think the solution lies in creating a larger antenna for the RFID Reader which will increase its range. You might get a very small increase in range doing this because you have to remember this is a 2-part relationship. Even if the RFID Reader can activate a tag further away, the tag still has to get its data back to the reader and its internal antenna is much smaller. Range is only really increased from one side. In order to really be successful you’d need an increase on both sides. A larger tag would help a little as well, so depending on your application you could try a combination of changes. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-09-16 01:01
    mtbphil1

I like Your question on the RFID tags.... I have noticed the small size of the RFID tags used in retail sales and the large hoop or loop type Antenna used to read a package when exiting a store. These units seem to have at least 2 feet of reception.

I would like to use these RFID tags with My livestock to insure that all the stock eats and drinks OK (an RFID ear tag). This would also help prevent (accidentally) double dosing a cow with wormer medicine.

Does anyone have an idea for longer range with RFID tags? I think this would help a bunch of people!

_____________$WMc%_________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,340
    edited 2009-09-16 08:49
    We used the very small (single matchbox size) L-RX300 Serial Port Reader with some ActiveTags from WaveTrend http://www.wavetrend.net/products_readers.aspx in the past...

Although datasheet states approx. 7v supply, a simple mod (remove 2 resistors) to the reader enables 5v usage. (In fact, we found it works also without the mod at 5v, although the manufacturer does not guarantee reliability... fine for testing though..)...

Simple to interface to use with serin. Just treat it like an other serial device.

The tags last approx. 5 years and operate over approx. 40 meters.

Cost wise, approx. £60 for the reader, £20 for the tags (of varying sizes - check the site). I would think for cow ear tagging, the hospital watch tag (cut down of course) might be something to consider.

For 1-off purchases you might need a reseller... if you need help finding one, let me know and I will dig out the details of our supplier from my large bin of knowledge / dead filing boxes [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • KorrosivKorrosiv Posts: 4
    edited 2009-09-16 10:02
    At the risk of sounding like an advert bot shocked.gif (this is my first post)

The company i work for does rfid solutions including active and passive tagging. If you contact Arnlea Systems @ www.arnlea.com

We deal with lots of RFID projects, although mainly for explosion risk inspection in the oil and gas industry, from rfid tagging to readers and bespoke handheld/PC software depending on the application you want.

(I'll be posting soon about my boe bot to rc car and some servo issues honest ) blush.gif
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,340
    edited 2009-09-16 10:27
    Thanks for the info Korrosiv ! It's good to hear of alternatives.

From our perspective, the problem was finding a small receiver to integrate with a uC (sx in our case) based projects. I did find other manufacturers with physically small active tags, but the transmitters were all large and expensive (basically designed for bolting to a wall, not for portable application).

I suspect an active-tech product that has a small receiver with simple interface may find a niche market for uC guys !
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-16 15:21
    $WMc% said...
    I would like to use these RFID tags with My livestock to insure that all the stock eats and drinks OK (an RFID ear tag). This would also help prevent (accidentally) double dosing a cow with wormer medicine.
    There is always this

http://zigbeef.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen