Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
which computer language is best for bs2 communication? — Parallax Forums

which computer language is best for bs2 communication?

iDaveiDave Posts: 252
edited 2009-09-11 21:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hey gents - I notice quite a few post regarding talking to a stamp from a computer using visual basic. Thing is a while back I downloaded the Visual C++ 2008 free edition. Mostly because i already had some familiarity with c++ & kinda used to the syntax. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use that to serially communicate with my bs2?! Could i use the many vb code examples in the forum and translate over to c++? Anyone done it? Any thoughts are appreciated. While i'm on the subject..I've also thought about learning python to handle things on the computer side. But I'd definetly want to have a GUI on the comp side & don't know if it's more difficult to do that with python. Again, thoughts ...opinions...rambles would be great.

Dave in texas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-11 05:05
    Any programming language that you like to use, runs on your system, and allows access to a serial port would work. If you like Visual C++ 2008 or Visual Basic or Smalltalk or Pascal or Python or Java ... There are all sorts of ways to construct a GUI under Windows / Linux / MacOS / ???.

There are add-on packages for various scripting languages that you can use to make a simple GUI. There's one that I use with the MacOS that works with any of the available scripting languages. I've used it with Python and Applescript, even a standard Unix shell script (bash).
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2009-09-11 06:51
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=671804

This shows how to use VB, But I was actually able to modify the code just by opening it in the free C++ that you are speaking of and correcting the errors.It works just fine. If you want the code, send your e-mail via PM and I will zip it up and send it to you.
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2009-09-11 21:20
    Thanks for the responses! NWUpgrades - that is awesome..great to hear! I'll contact you for that head start u can give me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2009-09-11 21:34
    My bad. I got to looking and it was C# that I did it with. However, I will give C++ a try in the next day or so to see if it works the same way. I do not see why it wouldn't, since there is not a huge difference in the 2.