Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Communication conflict — Parallax Forums

Communication conflict

Jerry RoachJerry Roach Posts: 13
edited 2009-09-11 13:33 in BASIC Stamp
I can't get my BS2 to establish communication with the debug station. I know the stamp is working and communicating via RS232 because I can open the MS HyperTerminal in Windows and receive data from the BS2 program I previously installed. I also have a second BS2 and carrier board that has never been programmed that will not communicate either. Does anyone have any insights as to possible communication conflicts that might be present? The identify command doesn’t recognize the presence of the BS2. When I previously programmed the Stamp, I had intermittent communication problems. I'm running windows XP.

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-09-10 19:17
    In the development environment, click on Directive>>Port and make sure you are using the correct port.

This assumes you are using a USB converter and that you have also downloaded the correct Parallax driver. Generic Windows USB driver won't work.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-09-10 19:22
    And of course, only one application can "own" the serial port at a time. So if Hyperterm has it, the IDE can't get it.

If the IDE connects to the stamp, it WILL 'reset' it (using RTS). The "identify" should definitely find the stamp at that point.
  • Jerry RoachJerry Roach Posts: 13
    edited 2009-09-10 21:33
    I'm not using a USB interface, I'm using RS232. I'm also not trying to run the hyperterminal and the debug station at the same time.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-09-10 23:48
    Even with direct RS232 ,check the Port in use and make sure the power to the Stamp is OK.

The IDE is very well behaved under XP. You haven't added software to the computer, have you? Thinking of some PDA software that autosyncs your files when you plug it in.

As a last resort, un-install the IDE and do a fresh installation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Jerry RoachJerry Roach Posts: 13
    edited 2009-09-11 13:33
    Believe it our not, the cause of the problem was that my 9V battery was a little low (7.5V). It worked well enough to talk to the computer via HyperTerminal, but not the debug software. The timing on the debug interface is very sensitive.