Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to control Shimano STP-42D201-35 stepper motor — Parallax Forums

Trying to control Shimano STP-42D201-35 stepper motor

kwolterkwolter Posts: 3
edited 2009-09-09 03:46 in BASIC Stamp
I have searched these forums, and the web, for information about controlling Shimano model # STP-42D201-35 stepper motors using basic stamp BS2 BOE. No luck finding a data sheet on the web. That is one problem I could use help with.

The other is information about trying to control them. I don't know the current draw of the motor, nor the maximum of the BS2 BOE. I think it is 1 amp but not for sure.

The motors have 4 wires: black, blue and red, green. I'm assuming there are two windings in the motors.

Is it even possible to control with BS2 BOE?

Any help or pointing in the right direction will be appreciated.

Comments

• kwolterkwolter Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-08 20:43
    Okay, have done some experiments and I think the Shimano 42D motors will draw at least 950 mA under no load, so too much for the BOE.

So, now the question is what power supply and control circuit do I need to control the motor using the BOE.

Maybe this is a similar question that others have had with different higher draw motors...
  • kwolterkwolter Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-08 20:54
    Okay, more info. After testing continuity and reading about generic stepper motors I believe that the Shimano 42D's are bipolar permanent magnet motors

According to http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/types.html these types of motors need an H-bridge control circuit.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-09 03:46
    Parallax sells several stepper controllers. Go to the website and look under motors (I think)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen