Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
:hop: Smart Card incorporating 1KByte of EEPROM — Parallax Forums

:hop: Smart Card incorporating 1KByte of EEPROM

whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
edited 2009-09-10 13:33 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Smart Card - SLE4428
Standard ISO-7816 Smart Card incorporating 1KByte of EEPROM storage and a Programmable Security Code, Standard Byte Addressing, with three wire serial bus. Suitable for 10,000 write and erase cycles together with data retention of ten years. Ideal for parking, stored value or access control systems.
Features
• Standard ISO-7816
• Long-Life Contact Material
• 1KByte EEPROM with Programmable Security Code
• Ideal for Sensitive Data and Security Systems

Above is a card I found $1.50 AUS and a socket holder for a few bucks. Can I hook up a stamp or propellor to the socket and access the EEPROM for read and write , using umm..... I2C or some other protocol ?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-08 01:29
    It looks like it ought to be usable with a Stamp (using HIGH/LOW and SHIFTOUT/SHIFTIN) or a Propeller, but you'll need a complete datasheet. From the limited information I could find, it looks like it uses a version of an SPI interface.
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2009-09-08 05:19
    ·I apologise for the cross post. I thought my computer had frozen up but actually I had already posted in another forum (Prop) not that it matters but I think I am swerving towards the PROP. Spin seems easy enough, one thing is about it is the format of your text/code is paramount , like instead of having an endif ; whatever code you indent after an 'if ' is performed should the condition be met.;the hard part is hard whichever language smhair.gif Thanks MG. , I have uploaded the datasheet should anyone wish to look.

Regards,

·········· Mike L.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-10 13:33
    Like I said, it looks like you could use it by using HIGH/LOW, PULSOUT, SHIFTOUT/SHIFTIN from a Stamp or the equivalent for a Propeller. The only thing different from other SPI EEPROMs is that instead of a chip select line, they have a reset line and you need a clock pulse during the reset pulse.

You will need some kind of buffer between a Propeller and this chip since this is designed to run off 5V and the Propeller is a 3.3V chip. There's a long thread among the "sticky" threads at the top of the thread list on the Propeller forum that deals with interfacing a Propeller with 5V logic.