Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hobbico cs-80. Does it work with BS board? — Parallax Forums

Hobbico cs-80. Does it work with BS board?

~Dave~~Dave~ Posts: 4
edited 2009-09-07 17:12 in BASIC Stamp
I am creating a project to turn a door knob. I need quite a lot of torque and the 150 oz/in barely pulls it. Would the Hobbico cs-80 work with the BS2 module and the BOE board, on a 9vdc 300ma power supply? Or will i need some sort of external power/ upgrade to a 12v power supply? Here is the link to the servo: www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXLN93&P=8 Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-07 05:23
    The servo can be controlled by the BS2, but the power supply wouldn't work. Read the servo documentation at the link you gave. The servo draws 700mA when moving with no mechanical load on it. They don't say how much this current increases under load, but I suspect it can go up to several Amps which the BOE can't supply. The servo needs a separate 6V power supply with the negative (ground) lead also connected to the BOE ground (Vss). The two power supplies (BOE and servo) must have a common ground connection.
  • ~Dave~~Dave~ Posts: 4
    edited 2009-09-07 05:39
    Thank you for the reply. Would you recommend any other type of servo, that can produce 300+ oz/in, or will the same issue of power arise? Thank you.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-09-07 05:44
    Probably the same issue will arise. If you want high torque, you will need a largish servo motor and that means more current.

I suggest you browse some servo manufacturer's catalogs and see what sort of current drains are typical for 300+ oz/in servos.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-09-07 06:04
    Of course, you might be able to find something that has the high torque due but low current due to gearing down. This would result in a slower turn though.
    edited 2009-09-07 06:46
    Thank you for the replies. I have searched through hundreds of Servos. None which I can find that have low current draw, with high torque. If anyone knows of any please let me know. speed does not matter to me.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-09-07 07:38
    You could use something like this:

SG220S_Side.jpg

The servo it uses draws 150ma (no load).

You still need a separate power supply like Mike says. Servos aren't designed to run on more than 6 volts, especially when loaded.

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Servo Boss, a 12 channel servo tester kit from Gadget Gangster.
    edited 2009-09-07 17:12
    Thank you for that suggestion W9GFO. Last night I have come up with a design using systems of pulleys to reduce the load. I believe this will work if I modify a servo to have continuous rotation.