Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
say it module won't connect through usb serial converter — Parallax Forums

say it module won't connect through usb serial converter

Marz KrishnaMarz Krishna Posts: 26
edited 2009-09-16 22:46 in BASIC Stamp
i'm trying to get a say it module to connect to say it GUI throught a usb to serial converter but i keep getting the following message:

Could not detect device connected to port "COM4".
The operation completed successfully.

I can run stamp editor and see the stamp just fine. Anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-09-04 11:54
    I'm having the same issue. See thread at:
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=15&m=380427

No resolution so far...

Dave
  • Marz KrishnaMarz Krishna Posts: 26
    edited 2009-09-04 19:36
    i managed to get the control software uploaded via an old desktop with a serial port.
  • btshil2000btshil2000 Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-11 11:07
    Hi,

Having the same issues on a Windows Vista computer and Windows 7 computer.

@xanatos: I joined your thread. Please us know if you found a solution.

@Marz: What OS are you running on your PC? What kind of Stamp board do you have?

Thanks.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-09-11 12:43
    Marz Krishna said...
    i'm trying to get a say it module to connect to say it GUI throught a usb to serial converter but i keep getting the following message:

Could not detect device connected to port "COM4".
    The operation completed successfully.

I can run stamp editor and see the stamp just fine. Anyone know of a solution to this problem?
    Did you download the drivers·for the USB adapter?· ·Not all USB to serial adapters are compatible with the BASIC Stamps.· Here is a link to a known good adapter·for a reasonable price:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/379/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2009-09-11 14:37
    Hi Dave,

Just wanted to jump in for a second and let you know about this thread in the Sandbox (the original thread I started) that is the same thing but with more details:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=839905

In all cases I have heard of so far, we can all see the stamp using the USB to Serial cable/drivers we have with the Stamp Editor.· It is only the SayIt GUI that does not seem to work at all with the same cables/drivers that work fine with the editor.

I was able to load the SayIt Demo program into the module and run that successfully (using only the Stamp Editor) with the module recognizing Robot, Turn, Left, Right, etc.· But at no point have I heard of anyone using the SayIt GUI successfully except for one who said they dug out some ancient old tower with a dedicated serial port in it...· hopefully that's not the solution! :-)

Dave X
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-09-11 17:20
    Xanatos & Marz,

I can assure you that the modules can be programmed via a USB port; all the examples I have used have been on USB connections. I have been trying to figure out what could be the cause, and have requested one of the modules to be sent back for further testing. I personally have ran the module successful in a WinXP and Vista environment. If you use Vista, you have to install "As Admin"; otherwise the permission settings·will get in the way; but the GUI works as it should.I also, have not been able to duplicate the error, but again, as soon as I find the solution, I will post it for everyone benefit from.

Thank you both for your patience,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-09-11 23:42
    Hi there,

I have no doubt that the modules *can* be programmed via the USB port... but there is something odd about the GUI for the SayIt module. I also do doubt that there is anything wrong with the module itself, as I can download the demo program into it using the regular basic stamp editor, and the demo program runs. It is ONLY the GUI that seems to have the problem.

I am currently travelling, and won't be able to ship the module out until around 9/27 or 9/28 at the earliest.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Dave X
    edited 2009-09-11 23:54
    I will continue to see if I can duplicate the issue and find a solution in the mean time. I will let everyone know if I find the hang up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • btshil2000btshil2000 Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-12 03:41
    Hi,

I just wanted to point out that in my case neither the GUI nor the demo code work with the Say It module.
    Looks like I may have a defective unit. I'd appreciate any feedback from Parallax on this (e-mail sent to support).
    Thanks.

BT
    edited 2009-09-14 14:15
    btshil2000,

If you have sent in a message to technical support no doubt you will get a repsonce perhaps with an RMA to have the module sent in for testing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-09-15 06:17
    Gents,

I have thought of something that could be causing the issue. Can you verify with each of the COM ports being used that the latency is set to 1 instead of 16; which is the default that Windows uses. You can access this feature in the "Advanced" setting in the Port Settings tab in the control panel. We have ran into some latency solutions with our BASIC Stamp lineup with some PC's, so it's possible that it could be causing the issue. Please let me know if this resolves the issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-09-16 22:46
    Here is another idea:

Have either of you tried to reinstall the GUI software? Do you have any firewall or similar software running when you did the install? If so, can you disable and try the install again? We use a firewall software which I have not had any issue during the install, but it's not to say if another one might.·Please try this, and let me know what the results are.

I have not been able to duplicate the issue, but I have not stopped trying to find a solution. :-)

The USB to Serial adapters;·are·they ours of another manufacturers? Can you confirm which BASIC Stamp 2 module you are using with the GUI?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 9/17/2009 3:25:10 PM GMT