Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MLX90614 - Bad Unit? — Parallax Forums

MLX90614 - Bad Unit?

everesteverest Posts: 141
edited 2009-10-27 00:34 in BASIC Stamp
So I just got my latest package from Parallax, and the MLX90614 unit I purchases is kicking out PEC "Fails". . .I can't get anything out of this unit. I dropped in a 10 degree unit I have lying around and it works perfectly. . .drop in this new one. . ."Fail". Any suggestions before I arrange a replacement with Parallax? I actually had the same problem with the first one I bought when it was right out of the box, and it quite magically started working the next day. This is all so confusing [noparse]:([/noparse]

-Jeff

Comments

• AWarriorAWarrior Posts: 1
    edited 2009-10-02 19:23
    I have the same problem too with the MLX90614, I don't know if the problem is with the newer units. Did you get any answer for that?
  • ruperthartruperthart Posts: 17
    edited 2009-10-26 06:15
    Don't forget that you have to run the "set eeprom" program first, since it changes the location of where to read the temp data to $5A, which is then read in the simple demo program.

There are lots of posts of people, who ran the simple program first. But this reqests data from $5A whereas the MLX90614 is factory set for $35, though apparently it will also read from $00.

Everybody is frustrated by this. In reality, the "set eeprom" prigram should have not confused everybody by changing this location, and the simple program should read from the factory-set location.

Worth trying again? Let us know if this does the job.
    Regards
    Rupert.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-10-27 00:34
    Everest,

Please let Technical Support know [noparse][[/noparse] support@parallx.com or 888-997-8267 ] if you have a module that you may think is defective, and we can set up an RMA to test it. However, Ruperthart has a good suggestion; if you do not set the address they will not run properly; all the sample code uses $5A as the desired address to communicate with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com