Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Logging values from a pressure- and position-sensors — Parallax Forums

Logging values from a pressure- and position-sensors

CtCCCtCC Posts: 1
edited 2009-09-03 06:43 in BASIC Stamp
I need to log the pressure in a diesel-engine cylinder, as well as the position of the piston. I thought of using a halleffect-sensor to determine the position of the output shaft(three sensors, with one magnet at the shaft, so I'll get the position every 120-degrees), and I got a pressure-sensor which has an output of 0-10V, depending on the pressure. This isn't all that hard to do with just a normal I/O-card and labview or something, but I need to do this at 1000rpm, and at that speed my USB I/O-card will not be fast enough to do this. So, is this possible with basicstamp? Is it able to store, say 360 pressure-values, position values at every 120-degrees, and put it in an array together with a time-stamp at every value? (at 1000rpm :P ) I need to log 2-3 revolutions, and of course export it to a PC.

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-09-03 03:22
    CtCC

I don't know what kind of pressure-sensor you have? They vary a lot.

The cylinder pressure from the engine would be read in an average pressure @ 1000 rpms. Trying to read each stroke is
    wishful thinking.(Measuring pressure is to time consuming....mechanacal hysteresis)

You'll need an A/D converter for the BS2. Since the sensor is an analog signal..

Remember the BS2 is a 5volt device, So select your A/D converter accordingly

_______________$WMc%_________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-09-03 06:43
    So, that's 16.6 rotations per second (Twice as many samples). Might be tight with the BS2, but it might be possible. (Ad Warning!) If you switch to the Propeller, I wrote some datalogging code that logs variables to a USB drive. I got about 40 sps with lots of data, or 90 watching a single variable. Code is here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=836771