Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Works -- EXPERIMENT #25: MIXED IO WITH SHIFT REGISTERS — Parallax Forums

Stamp Works -- EXPERIMENT #25: MIXED IO WITH SHIFT REGISTERS

TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
edited 2009-09-04 20:31 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to connect a stamp to an output expansion board that has an bit data bus (bidirectional) and 4 control lines. I have that working, but now I'm looking to use less pins from the stamp to make that work.

Referring to the circuit called out in the subject line: Can the outputs side of the 595 be directly connected to the inputs side of the 165 (as in XOUT0 connects to XIN0, etc. ) for form an 8 bit bidectional data bus?

If that can work, then my pin-use-count for this project drops from 12 pins to 8. A worthy goal. If this device combination is not appropriate for that, then is there some other·shift register type of bus transceiver·I should be using instead?

Thanx in advance.
TinkersALot·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-09-04 20:31
    You could connect them in that manner to form a bi-directional bus but you would need one additional consideration to make it work. You would need a R/W line (typical) which, in this case will simply disable the /OE line on the ‘595 for reads. Otherwise the ‘595 will always drive the inputs and you will get collisions with other inputs on the bus. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·