Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamp Found — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamp Found

goldenpirate99goldenpirate99 Posts: 3
edited 2012-08-12 15:54 in BASIC Stamp
I plugged in my board and when I click to send my program to it it says no basic stamp found. Ive used a basic stamp before and can not remember if there is anything special I had to do the first time I hooked one up to my computer.

I know there is some sort of connection between the stamp and my computer because when I plug it into my computer the computer makes a noise and some lights flicker on the stamp. I have the battery pack plugged into the stamp and have tried sending the program with the power setting on the 0 the 1 and the 2 and they all give me the same reading "no basic stamp found"

Any suggestions?

Comments

• JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-09-01 21:30
    GoldenPirate99,

What do you get for echo and loopback when you run Identify in the BASIC Stamp Editor? What version of Editor are you using? What is the voltage of your battery pack? Do you have a volt meter to confirm that voltage?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-09-01 22:52
    I had a similar problem with newer stamps and a slightly older version of the editor software. Be sure you're using the newest version of teh stamp editor software.

Also make sure that the COM port of your editor is looking at the COM port that your stamp is connected to.

Lastly - are you using a USB to Serial converter, a USB cable with a USB compatible stamp board, or a direct Serial cable?

Dave
  • goldenpirate99goldenpirate99 Posts: 3
    edited 2009-09-02 00:31
    The battery pack has 4 1.5v batteries in it.

It is a basic Board of Education USB 200-2006. And the program I am running is the Basic Stamp Editor v2.4.2

I have used this stamp (or same kind) and this same editor before. The only thing that could possibly be different is the computer USB to mini usb port cable is just one I have for my video camera instead of the one from the school I used last time (it seems a little thicker maybe?). But the computer and the stamp are both seeing it because of the noise and nights flashing.

And as far as echo and loop back... not quite sure what you mean?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-09-02 02:09
    When you identify a stamp the editor will look at the com ports and either find or not a loopback and/or echo. presence of the loopback and echo will tell you if the board and stamp are found. Make sure you have the latest usb drivers from FTDI installed and try a different cable if possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-09-02 16:35
    GoldenPirate99,

The ID is part of the BASIC Stamp Editor. With the BASIC Stamp 2 and BOE plugged in and turned on, go up to the Run menu, and select Identification;·a window will pop up that will give you the following information.

Port:
    Device Type:
    Version:
    Loopback:
    Echo:

What value do you get for each of these?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • Rob311Rob311 Posts: 83
    edited 2009-09-02 23:51
    I am having a similar problem with the editor v 2.4.2. It just doesn't list my com port, anyone know how to manually add com ports?
    edited 2009-09-02 23:55
    Rob311,

If you click on the ID button from the quick lauch bar, or go up to Run => Identify you can select "Edit Ports" from the window that pops up. Otherwise, you can access the option with following the following:

Edit Menu => Preferences => Debug Port => Edit Ports

From there you can select the COM ports availble, and choose to either use or ignore the COM ports. Once you have selected the COM port, verify that the BASIC Stamp 2 can be seen, and if there are other questions feel free to ask or call us at 888-997-8267

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • vidiavidia Posts: 2
    edited 2012-08-11 00:26
    I have the same device, the same problem. Running Basic Stamp editor v2.5.3 on XP. My current power supply is a battery pack, consisting 4 AA batteries, which supplies 5.4 VDC(tested with voltage meter). The identification says Loopback: Yes, Echo: Yes, but Device Type is empty. My Board of Education USB 2000-2004 is bought second hand last year this time. Could it be the chip is burnt? The power light(I suppose the green LED that goes on when battery is connected, which is next to the rectifier) is on.
    untitled4.jpg
    untitled1.JPG
    untitled2.jpg

Before that. There's a power supply that I used, which is labeled output voltage 9VDC, so I plugged in, the light was on. However, the actual voltage is 15VDC. There's another power supply for my phone recorder, which is of the same labeled voltage and actual voltage. Could that cause problem?
    1024 x 937 - 135K
    912 x 977 - 148K
    1024 x 957 - 134K
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2012-08-11 03:50
    vidia wrote: »
    Before that. There's a power supply that I used, which is labeled output voltage 9VDC, so I plugged in, the light was on. However, the actual voltage is 15VDC. There's another power supply for my phone recorder, which is of the same labeled voltage and actual voltage. Could that cause problem?

Yes, that could. The Board of Education is rated for 6-9V input, and the 15V input might have fried something. If you're lucky, it fried the voltage regulator, which could be removed and replaced.

In general you should not assume that wall wart (plug-in) power supplies put out the voltage that they say on the side. As you found out, this one says 9V but puts out 15V. That's not at all unusual.
  • vidiavidia Posts: 2
    edited 2012-08-11 22:04
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Yes, that could. The Board of Education is rated for 6-9V input, and the 15V input might have fried something. If you're lucky, it fried the voltage regulator, which could be removed and replaced.

In general you should not assume that wall wart (plug-in) power supplies put out the voltage that they say on the side. As you found out, this one says 9V but puts out 15V. That's not at all unusual.

I just tested the LM2940CT voltage regulator. With 15V plug-in power supply, the pin1(Vin) is 14.2V and pin3(Vout) is 4.92V. So, it seems the regulator is working well. The voltage provided to the board is the correct voltage, although the input is a bit high.
    The datasheet for LM2940CT page 4, electrical characteristics, says when output voltage is 5V, it's input range is 6.25V ≤ VIN ≤ 26V. So, it shouldn't be burnt because of the power supply. At least, not in my hand.
    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/8828/NSC/LM2940CT-5.0.html

O
    h, I suppose the square FTDI chip next to the mini-USB port means I don't need the serial-USB converter, right? The driver seems was installed correctly.
    My port property:
    untitled5.JPG
    918 x 706 - 95K
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-08-12 15:54
    vidia,

The 2940 regulator is about as bullet-proof as they come, I wouldn't have expected it to be harmed by a simple 15 volt input. It seems likely that your Basic Stamp is damaged. You might try carefully removing it and re-seating it in the socket just to make sure it's making a good connection. Be careful doing this as it's easy for it to suddenly come loose at one end and you end up bending or breaking pins on the opposite end. Also check the power connections right at the 24 pin socket just to be sure.