Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio and HB-25 controllers with Wheel Kit — Parallax Forums

Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio and HB-25 controllers with Wheel Kit

DogulasDogulas Posts: 8
edited 2011-06-16 21:39 in Robotics
Hi,

I just did a quick search and didn't find any posts about this so I thought I would ask the question.

I am building a robot using the Wheel Kit and the HB-25 motor controllers.· This robot will be built around Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio (RDS) on an ATX onboard motherboard using a Phidget USB servo controller to provide pulses to the HB-25 controllers.· To make this work I will have to write RDS services to control the wheel motors via the Phidget board and the HB-25 controllers.· This service should support the Generic Motor service and the Generic Drive service.

Before I ventured down this grueling road I thought I'd ask here if anyone has already done this.· Pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
Dogulas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thanks,

Dogulas

Comments

• icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2009-09-02 02:43
    Have a look at the following link...
    www.whiteboxrobotics.com/Product/index.html
    and the Robosoft Robudog
    www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/default.mspx
    If they can do that with xp home/pro and xp embeded I think that would be the first thing to try since you already
    have an ATX board.

here another with some interesting videos
    the source code for the 914 api is farther down the page. you might be able to use the 914 api as is if you could find the same hardware the 914 uses.
    914pcbots.com/community/
    -dan

Post Edited (icepuck) : 9/2/2009 3:06:16 AM GMT
  • DogulasDogulas Posts: 8
    edited 2009-09-02 20:29
    Dan,

Thanks! These were great links. I actually haven't found what I'm looking for, but that tells me that this is probably new ground. I think I can now start thinking about doing the development myself.

Thanks,
    Dogulas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Dogulas
  • deependerdeepender Posts: 1
    edited 2011-06-13 04:20
    Respected Members I am a starter and a student , i am in bit difficulty regarding this issue:

1.)I have Intel Atom Kit , I have installed OS on it and we are using MDRS on it I have developed our needed application that is to voice commands to Control motors Rotation now after this we want to Simulate this .

2.)How I can actually control motors which will be communicating with our Pc serially using the above mentioned program made in VPL , how I can do this. i mean how we will interface motor so that they start working with MDRS code, do we will be needing a special chip for that or mdrs will create coomunication between pc and our motorcontroller. In TUtorial all refernce are for lego motors does that mean only lego nxt. can only be controlled , if I had a motor controller with 3 or 4 motor attached to it and my motor controller is serially communicating with my pc how i can control motor rotations , i can use any motor even servo that will not be an issue. plz tell the right approach for this,as i have make intensive search on net on this but i am not able to find any good solution.

plz help, we will be very thankfull to you
  • Dr.ZaiusDr.Zaius Posts: 16
    edited 2011-06-16 21:39
    Hi Dogulas, icepuck, and deepender.......its nice to see fellow MSRDS users........ well theres 2 ways that I know that will Guide You to your direction...... #1. Use GHI's FEZ microcontrollers to get the job done, because they use the .NET MicroFramework; meaning You use native C# to code, and if you must use the MSRDS you can use its Libraries or Merge them better because their all C# .....Im still learning .NET MicroFramework, but I see the Benefits are Tremendous just on the Microframework its self......I would like to tell you more but as the Bibble says; Search and You shall FIND!!! ...:) .... ok.... #2 For some reason MSRDS aka (MSRS) used to have the C# code for the BoeBot; some how down the upgrade line MSRS lost the C# code; that means you must write the C# code for MSRS to communicate with the BS2's BoeBot.. :/..... not to worry I found a link were MSRS is used to controll the (Scribbler 1) that uses a BS2 "OEM" (3rd Party Link), its scimatics, and wireing diagrams, are in the Parallax website just look for them under the robot kits section I think..... so just study the wireing, PBasic code, C# code for scribbler for MSRS.... and try the scribbler trouble shoot software; to make sure "Your" version of the Scribbler works..... then Run the hole thing.... and Presto.... you got MSRS working with the BS2's BoeBot....... Easyer said than done I know, but the benefits are worth while in EXP........
    PS: some guy got one of the FEZ microcontrllers to work with the Android Phone SDK's, so know use a phone to control a robot.... :).... if your interested in that 3rd Party Link for the MSRS Scribbler1 let me know and I'll post it up..... :)

Cheers.