Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping question. — Parallax Forums

Ping question.

gbravettigbravetti Posts: 8
edited 2009-08-28 01:05 in BASIC Stamp
Sorry if this is not the correct forum.

I'm interested on using 4 Ping sensors to measure 4 object's distance, in a four column (parallel vectors) array, my question is:

Is there a safe distance between Ping sensors to work measuring distance in parallel vectors?

Thanks,
Gustavo

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-27 22:46
    Not really. The documentation for the PING has a chart showing the signal strength off-axis and there's a cone-shaped sound beam produced. Adjacent PINGs will tend to interfere with each other. You really can't use them simultaneously. You could activate them sequentially allowing a little time for the echos from one to die out before triggering the next one. If you're trying to detect the presence or absence of an object at a particular distance, you could have several PINGs arranged on an arc with the angular separation enough to prevent overlap of the conical beams, but you'd still have to balance the interference between adjacent beams against the possibility of missing an object where the two beams are adjacent.
  • gbravettigbravetti Posts: 8
    edited 2009-08-28 01:05
    Mike,
    Thanks for your answer, I will calculate if the "sequential" option allows me to get the refresh rate I need, probably yes, anyway interference could be a poblem.

Do you think it can be used some kind of cylindrical chamber to reduce ultrasound propagation angle? I just need to measure distance on a 10cms diameter column for about 50cms.

Thanks