Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Issue with SHT Humidity/Temperature sensor — Parallax Forums

Issue with SHT Humidity/Temperature sensor

LeeWLeeW Posts: 14
edited 2009-08-28 16:36 in BASIC Stamp
I've got a problem with my SHT Humidity/Temp sensor, I accidentally left the board on for at least a day. I had to change out the battery·for a new one, and now when I'm recording values in Excel using PLX DAQ the temperature readings are reading very high. Example is over 100* Fahrenheit in a 70* (at most) room. The strange thing is, the values are slowly dropping over time, to the point where it's changing - 10 * every couple of hours. Do I have to leave it on and running so it slowly (very very slowly??) acclimates to the room temperature? I changed the sensor out with another one, and it's reading the same problem. Humidity measurements seem to be accurate, good response with contact against the palm of the hand and breath.

Seems to be a board problem? Anyone have any ideas? For now, I'm just going to leave it running and see if it stabilizes..

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-08-26 18:03
    Since you have the same problem with two sensors it probably is not a sensor problem. If you stick the sensor in the fridge for a few minutes (properly protected) what do you get? How do you have the sensor connected and powered and what code are you using to test it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • LeeWLeeW Posts: 14
    edited 2009-08-26 18:12
    Sensor is connected to a OEM Basic Stamp 2 board, and the code I'm running is the same code that was on the board when it was still reading properly (and before I left it on for a day or so). I'll try popping it in the fridge for a little, would this help to "reset" whatever has gone wrong?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-08-26 21:02
    Probably not but it would change the direction the chip value is moving (or not)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2009-08-27 00:12
    Leaving the sensor on for over a day shouldn't cause any problems. I have used BS2 code that reads every 2 seconds for a 3 week period without any issues (even though it got soaked with rain one day, only the humidity was off until I blew out the water in the sensor). I agree with Franklin, that something else is going on.

Try verifying your setup and other components.
    Try running the sample code to see if you get the same readings in the debug window.
    Verify your power to the SHT is within specs, 2.4-5.5v
    Try reloading your code. I have never heard of EEProms getting corrupted due to brown out but you never know.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
  • LeeWLeeW Posts: 14
    edited 2009-08-28 14:27
    The issue had to do with the way I was supplying the board and the sensor power. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PINS!

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-08-28 16:36
    I've also heard of a case where the unit defaulted to having its heater on, which will cause high temp readings.

-Phil