Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where to Start? Boe-Bot or What's a Micrcontroller — Parallax Forums

Where to Start? Boe-Bot or What's a Micrcontroller

CUBANA2004CUBANA2004 Posts: 1
edited 2009-10-18 15:30 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I understand that both of these kits are great starting points for moving on to further projects using BASIC Stamp. As a high school teacher i have the option of using either for a third level pre-engineering course. My goal in using this curriculum in my class is to introduce my students to electronics and programming. It would be easier for me to use the Boe-Bot kits in terms of what i am already in possession of but can buy the necessary components to move forward with "What's a Microcontroller" if it would better serve my purposes. Thoughts? Feedback? Your help is most appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-19 01:25
    The BoeBot kit has most of what you'd need for the What's a Microcontroller? exercises.· You're talking about an LED or two and a pushbutton along with a couple of resistors and capacitors.· The main advantage of starting with the BoeBot kit is that it's a robot with motors and wheels and sensors for obstacles.· You can easily work in the more basic exercises.· They need to learn about LEDs because the BoeBot uses IR LEDs for part of its obstacle sensing.· They need to learn about switches because the BoeBot uses bumper switches for obstacle sensing.· They need to learn basic programming before launching into more complex programming for the robotics.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-08-19 20:42
    Hello CUBANA2004,

Mike is correct in saying that the Boe-Bot Kit has most of the parts you need for the exercises in What's a Microcontroller. In fact, you can do 26 of 44 activities that are included in the book! If you and the students do this, you will have picked up most of the important concepts that will enrich Robotics with the Boe-Bot (which is best to do after What's a Microcontroller).

Below is a list of the What's a Microcontroller activities that can be completed with Robotics with the Boe-Bot parts:

Chapter 1, Activity 1 through 7
    Chapter 2, Activity 1 through 4
    Chapter 3, Activity 1 through 4
    Chapter 4, none
    Chapter 5, none
    Chapter 6, none
    Chapter 7, Activity 1 through 3
    Chapter 8, Activity 1 through 5
    Chapter 9, none
    Chapter 10, Activity 1 through 4

I hope this helps!

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ManetherenManetheren Posts: 117
    edited 2009-08-20 12:19
    Besides the students will like the stuff they can do witht eh BOE-Bot better. It is a more hands on project that will allow them to accomplish something and have a working proto-type to show off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-09-21 12:15
    Just an opinion from a self taught newbee. Robots do things while boards just sit there. Depends on your motivation.
  • HVACPUNKHVACPUNK Posts: 1
    edited 2009-10-18 13:58
    I teach kids HVAC, a board on a table or a board that moves about, think back, way back, which would you be more interested in ?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-18 15:30
    HVACPUNK,
    The question was about high school kids and a 3rd level introductory course for "pre-engineering" which could certainly include robotics. You didn't say what ages or level of schooling you're dealing with and, if you're teaching HVAC, that's a different audience. You would be teaching about motor control and environmental monitoring (temperature and humidity), feedback systems, and status displays. "What's a Microcontroller?" would be a better choice.