Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board of Education - "X1" connector? — Parallax Forums

Board of Education - "X1" connector?

everesteverest Posts: 141
edited 2009-08-18 22:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everyone,

I need a nice connector that will attach to the "X1" series of ports on my Board of Education. The "X1" port is the series of 20 sockets that looks almost like it would take a floppy drive cable. I've attached a marked image of the board from the Parallax web site to show what I'm talking about, since it's a little hard to explain.

Bottom line, I need to be able to quickly attach my BoE to/from another board connecting up all the pins, Vin, Vss, and Vdd, and that looks like the easiest way to do it. . .right now I literally have to connect/disconnect 24 jumper wires each labeled with the appropriate location on the BoE, which is a real mess.

Any suggestions would me much appreciated.

-Jeff
250 x 193 - 48K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-18 22:33
    This is a standard 0.1" 2 x 10 female header. There are all sorts of matching male headers on the market, some made to solder into other PCBs, some designed to attach to ribbon cable. It is indeed the same spacing and pin dimensions used for floppy disk drives and "old" hard drives.

Go through the on-line catalog for any of the on-line electronics distributors like DigiKey or Mouser. Jameco would also have some, but the other two have larger variety.

SparkFun also sells strips of "breakaway" male and female headers for soldering to a pre-drilled board. I'd get some of those and a cheap "experimenter's" board from RadioShack and solder up my own adapter if you want a connector for one end of a cable. If you just want to piggyback a 2nd PCB on top of the BOE, just get some male headers from SparkFun and solder them to matching holes in your PCB (if you have them).