Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to assign only 3 of 4 pins for OUTC to a variable.... — Parallax Forums

How to assign only 3 of 4 pins for OUTC to a variable....

cthomascthomas Posts: 17
edited 2009-08-14 03:48 in BASIC Stamp
Here is what I'm doing, and it works fine....

thumbselect VAR OUTC 'includes I/O 8, 9, 10, and 11 as output pins. 11 is for an edge or face state, 8, 9, and 10 decode which thumbwheel to read
FOR idx = 0 TO 7

thumbselect = idx 'Assigns idx value to Nib OUTC thus setting up which thumbwheel to read
Digit(idx) = INB 'Stores the current value of the thumbwheel at Digit(idx) and will fill the Digit array with the starting values of all thumbwheels

NEXT

What I'd like to do instead is assign only I/O pins 8, 9, and 10 to thumbselect....leaving I/0 pin 11 available for other use.

I was trying to use pin 11 for something else, forgetting that it is periodically forced low by the above FOR NEXT loop. I'm out of pins and can't move to a larger Stamp. Any thoughts or suggestions received with gratitude.
Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-14 02:57
    If you use I/O 11 as an input pin, it won't be affected by the use of OUTC for output. When a pin is an input, the I/O pin is disconnected from the output register (which OUTC changes). The output register bits 8-11 will all change, but I/O pin 11 will remain an input, unaffected by OUT11.

If you need I/O 11 as an output, this scheme won't work. You'll have to assign values individually to OUT8, OUT9, and OUT10. This might look like:

OUT8 = idx.bit0
    OUT9 = idx.bit1
    OUT10 = idx.bit2

Another idea, if bit11 is a bit variable used for I/O 11, you could do:

OUTC = (bit11<<3) + idx

This always keeps I/O 11 current when you change I/O 8-11
  • cthomascthomas Posts: 17
    edited 2009-08-14 03:48
    Thanks very much. Simple and quick. I'm using your suggestion on assigning OUT8, OUT9, and OUT10 separately.
    Works perfectly.