Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power or Current measuring — Parallax Forums

Power or Current measuring

Miguel AngelMiguel Angel Posts: 15
edited 2009-08-19 11:13 in Accessories
Hello

I need monitoring with BS2 a power operation of a device 10 or 20 amp , mono phase or tree phase (I don´t know)

how can I do it?

thanks

Comments

• mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-08-13 23:47
    Can you please give more information ,, 3 phase 440V 220V DC, AC I am sure you can get some help but you just need to post a little bit more detail
  • Miguel AngelMiguel Angel Posts: 15
    edited 2009-08-14 03:12
    Sorry ...I did review again documentation and my possibilities are

220 / 380 / 440 V
    50 / 60 Hz (this means mono phase too? or colud be 3 phase yet?)
    12 Kw

I hope this enough information

thanks

resolving formulas ....W = I^2 * R maybe the I(ampere) = 27 (average during operation), maybe the current could be peak to 50-60 amperes (good o r bad mathematics??)

Post Edited (Miguel Angel) : 8/14/2009 3:21:39 AM GMT
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2009-08-14 12:31
    Miguel;

At the voltages and amperage you're looking at, things could be fatal, and it seems you don't have a clear understanding of what's going on. Just be careful, we'd like to see you around the forums for some time to come!

The 50/60 Hz is the frequency of the AC current, and has nothing to do with mono (single) phase or 3 phase. The US is 60 Hz, and Canada and at least parts of Europe are 50 Hz. I'm less certain about Mexico, central and south America, Asia and Africa, but to my knowledge, most commercial/residential/public utilities are 50 or 60 Hz. Military and some other applications use a higher frequency, but these are not commonly run across.

Most likely you are looking at some type of current transformer. This is most commonly a toroid shape that a wire is passed through and can measure the current by induction. For single (mono) phase, you only need one. For three phase, you are best off having three, as there is no guarantee that all phases are carrying the same load.

Good luck and STAY SAFE!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
    edited 2009-08-14 16:33
    Thanks you for your help and advertising

In Chili ... the home voltage are 220 V and 50-60hz

but is not extrange that the factories use this kind of voltage (380 commonly)

I'm not tecnical professional, but I thy to understand...

I want to activate a machine (using a rele (In spanish, maybe relay in english) ) and when the machine is working ....begin to measure his current, the information will be transmited ...with the apropiated RF devices

I think Don't seem extrange. I only need the apropaite rele, and amperimeter....
    This is more information

I hope will be usefull for a good advice....

Thanks
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-08-15 00:17
    Miguel if I understand you, you want to use the BS2 and a device to read the power used by a device under load no load?? If I am close Vellman makes an AC device you could interface with the BS2 to read amperage
    but to be honest if you are just trying to see visually what the amperage is on a display then I would not even bother with BS2 just use one of Vellmans devices and they let use your PC to display all sorts of data.
    If you are looking to control with the BS2 the amperage than that's somehting different, and John is correct even 220 single phase can be deadly and I would use opto isolators with the Stamp
    edited 2009-08-15 02:40
    Thanks mikediv for your Recomandation

My bad English don't let me explain well

Finally I want to built a "black box" who activate the machine, via rele (relay en english, I supose) . Furthermore This "black box" measure the current and transmit to a server or data logger this information. ( i don't need to see this information online)

thaks for the help
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-08-16 23:09
    The freq in Chile is 50Hz (RMS is 210-230, but could run up to 250). The BS2 is good for activating a relay. For sensing current you have to use a Hall effect sensor or a current transformer. And I'd use an opto isolator just to be safe.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2009-08-18 15:03
    This is an Power Meter 1/3 phases based on a ST Microelectronics IC and developed by ISKRA. The power meter is widely installed in Europe and has also the possibility to be read through the power network (by the energy provider) for billing pourposes. Here you have the IC datasheet and the application notes and examples (some from ST others from ISKRA)

Chers
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2009-08-19 11:13
    Hiya

It might also be useful to look at the efx-tek website - they've some small mains control boards - probably too small for what you're after, but it would give you an idea of the circuit design.

http://www.efx-tek.com/

James