Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do you view a program that is already loaded on a Basic 2 stamp? — Parallax Forums

How do you view a program that is already loaded on a Basic 2 stamp?

NubyNuby Posts: 18
edited 2009-08-13 13:37 in BASIC Stamp
I am a real "nuby" to this so make sure you answer after you stop laughing. I was wondering if I want to review a program that is already loaded on a stamp where and how can I the that? Could not find any function in the editor I downloaded so thought I would ask. Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Thanks
Nuby

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-13 04:32
    You can't do it. That's why you can't find a function in the editor.

The longer answer is that you could theoretically load a small program into the Stamp that reads the EEPROM (using a READ statement) a byte at a time and sends the data out an I/O pin to perhaps a PC program. If the program is small enough, it will only overstore a small portion of the 2K of EEPROM and the rest of the EEPROM can be sent. The portion overlaid by the little program will not be accessible and can't be "dumped".

The format of the program is proprietary to Parallax and they don't give you any hints or make it easy to decode it. Several people have written books and articles on their own research into the code format and one company sells a Stamp emulator. You'll have to do your own hunting for further details.

There are several articles on the web on the Stamp instruction set. This is for the BS1 which is simpler and smaller.
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2009-08-13 07:51
    God Bless Mike Green! .... i swear.....if i could give him a medal or plaque.. ..he would 15..34?...

i say all of us fellow parallaxonians....bow down down before him(he's helped us all at 1 pnt)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2009-08-13 07:59
    By the way I'm goin' to trademark "parallaxian"...

so all of u owe me 2 cents

....i owe chip gracey..............................................................................\\\..........well ....a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "THE ONLY TRUE WISDOM IS IN KNOWING YOU KNOW NOTHING." - SOCRATES

Post Edited (iDave) : 8/13/2009 10:29:48 AM GMT
  • NubyNuby Posts: 18
    edited 2009-08-13 13:37
    Thank you very much Mr. Green.

Thanks

Nuby