Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My first exploration into microcontrollers — Parallax Forums

My first exploration into microcontrollers

tweddelltweddell Posts: 5
edited 2009-08-12 16:20 in BASIC Stamp
This is my first exploration into microcontrollers so please forgive my ignorance (or point me in a direction to learn)...
I wanted to make a box where I could choose to 1) read from a GPS, 2) read from a temp sensor

I thought I'd use a rotary switch to choose but realized I'd have to continually scan the·switch to detect a change.

Is continually scanning the best idea, or should I rely on interrupts to alert me to a change in state?

What would you do if a user could switch sensor inputs at random (assuming a single data storage point)?
Two can probably be handled by scanning but what about 5,10,20 where the ability to switch and detect may cause a missed transition?

Is this beyond the capabilities of micro's?

Where do you transition to more powerful or faster CPU's? Is there a demarcation point?

Thank you,
Tom Weddell

Post Edited By Moderator (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 8/12/2009 4:23:16 PM GMT

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-08-12 10:52
    Welcome to the forums.

If you're asking can a Stamp or other micro read two serial signals, the answer is yes.

Can they do it automatically? Yes.

To give the illusion of doing several things simultaneously, every micro switches back and forth between tasks according to its capabilities.

From experience, dealing with a GPS signal (which is updated about once per second) and a temperature sensor (whose observed rate of change is probably no more than once per second) is easily done with most microcontrollers.

As always in these forums, more details about your project will get you more detailed answers/discussion.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-08-12 16:20
    tweddell,

Please include a subject with your furture posts, this will help others understand what you are searching for.

Thank you,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com