Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help please — Parallax Forums

help please

scott10scott10 Posts: 12
edited 2009-08-28 21:34 in BASIC Stamp
i have the basic stamp home work board and what i am trying to do is get it to flash lights in sequence witch i have done but a person frome parallax told me in order to boost up the power coming out of the basic chip i needed a darlington transistor array but i dont understand the schematic diagram so i may not be hooking it up right but when i test my voltage with the darlington hooked upto the 5 volt conector my voltage tester says i am applying 4.96 volts but when i test the 1c pin i only get 0.62 volts i got the gnd and com hooked to vss so mabie i dont have it hooked up right or do i need to have some resisters or somthing also please help me thanks

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-08-11 00:45
    Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum. A few things to start - the better, meaning more specific, you can make your subject line, the more likely you are to get a response that is helpful. Next, I understand what you are trying to do, but I have no way of knowing what you've actually done, which makes it difficult to tell you what to do differently. If you don't understand the schematic, then perhaps a photo of your setup would give us something to work with.

Basically, what you want to be doing is to put at least a 1K resistor from the stamp output pin, into the BASE connection of the darlington pair transistor (if you don't already know, there's a base, a collector, and an emitter). You put your Vcc or +5v to the anode of your LED, and connect the cathode to a current limiting resistor for your LED. If you are using a regular LED, try 330 ohms. The other end of the resistor goes to the COLLECTOR of the darlington pair transistor. Then the EMITTER goes to ground (or Vss).

Let me know if this helps.

Dave
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-08-11 01:07
    These are the Pins on the ULN2803 Darlington Array If you hook this chip this way all you have to is send this command line is·HIGH Pin # and it turn·ON what you have hook up to it

·· '___________________________________

···' {$STAMP BS2}·····
    ·· ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

··· HIGH 1········ ' This is what it should look like this will torn on P1 on the Basic Stamp

· '______________________________________

I took this from the data sheet http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/compshop/ULN2803A.pdf
    From Basic Stamp Pin#···Input·Side····· ·1B······················ 1C······ OutPut side to be controlled 1B controls 1C and so on
    ·Same with 1B to 8B·························· ·· · 2B······················ 2C······ Same 1C to 8C
    ··························································· ·· ·3B······················ 3C
    ··············································· ············ · ·4B·················· ··· 4C
    ················································ ·········· · · 5B······················ 5C
    ······························································· 6B······················ 6C
    ························································· ··· · 7B····················· 7C
    ························································· ····· 8B····················· 8C
    ····························· ······ ·Vss····-········· ·· GND·················· ·COM····· +·· Vin·· ·or···· Vdd

I hope this help

·These chips are very easy to use also just to be on the safe side you can put 220 ohm resister on each input
    and if you need to use more than 500 mill-amps you can let say 1B 2B can be put together 1C 2C together and have 1000 milliamp I have done this many time this works very well
    I have ruin pins on this chip before I put 2 or more pins together to handle the current load

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/11/2009 1:24:27 AM GMT
  • scott10scott10 Posts: 12
    edited 2009-08-11 01:15
    ok so the base is the 1b and thr collector is the 1 c right ok what i am tryiong to do is boost up the out put power so i can have it hit relays to control 120 ac lights for christmas lights i put the 1k resister having the 5 volts feeding throught it and then feeding the 1 b pin and i get .62 volts out the 1 c pin when i conect the 1 b pin to p 14 of the basic stamp i get a voltage of .60· the 1 c pin is the one i would hook to my relay right
    edited 2009-08-11 01:25
    NO

This chip is not made to be used on AC voltage
    This chip is made for DC voltage and a MAX of 50 volt

You have to use a different chip to use 120 volts AC

Some thing like this http://document.sharpsma.com/files/s102t02_e.pdf

This taken from the data sheet

Please Be careful working with AC VOLTAGE above 24 volts

Please use a fuse on the 120 volts side 1 amp fast blow

To test this set up

··Pin 1·· Output (Triac T1)·.....>>>>· ·Load side
    · Pin 2·· Output (Triac T2)··......>>>> ·Hot Side
    · Pin3 · Input (+)·......>>>>>·*·1 k ohm resister * then to · Basic Stamp Pin #

· Pin 4·· Input (−)·.......>>>>>· ·Vss Pin on Basic Stamp Board

You can find this at Mouser·· http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=WpdiYiqki9lahlbN1eM2GQ%3d%3d

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/11/2009 1:49:43 AM GMT
    edited 2009-08-11 01:36
    ok i have it hooked up like this now the 1b pin is hooked top 14 of the basic stamp then the ground hooked to vss and the com hooked to vdd and i am getting a voltage of .62 then i tryed to hook 2b up to 1b and then hooked 2c and 1c together but i am only getting .62 also so what do i do now i have a 9 volt relay that i wanted it to hit but i dont know if this is going to do it or not
    edited 2009-08-11 01:40
    i know the chip isent for ac voltage thats why i am using a relay so the dc voltage can hit the relay and turn the ac voltage on and off
    edited 2009-08-11 01:49
    Are you using a ULN2803

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-08-11 01:58
    yes i am using the uln2803a 8 chan lf
    edited 2009-08-11 02:00
    One test lead goes on 1C and the other goes to Vss· or Vin

What voltage is at Vin

You must send the command that I had in the First post

····················································································
    ·················································································································Notch··......>>>>>U·················································· Test Lead
    From Basic Stamp Pin#···Input·Side······ ·1B······················ 1C···^^^· OutPut side to be controlled 1B controls 1C and so on
    ·Same with 1B to 8B·························· ·· · 2B······················ 2C······ Same 1C to 8C
    ··························································· ·· ·3B······················ 3C
    ··············································· ············ · ·4B·················· ··· 4C
    ················································ ·········· · · 5B······················ 5C
    ······························································· 6B······················ 6C
    ························································· ··· · 7B····················· 7C
    ························································· ····· 8B····················· 8C
    ····························· ······ ·Vss····-········· ·· GND·················· ·COM····· +·· Vin·· ·or···· Vdd
    ·······································Test lead ^^^^^···· or································^^ Test Lead ^^

·Which ever Vss or Vin Vdd that is controlled when you send HIGH 1 then you

DO

High 1

PAUSE 500

LOW 1

PAUSE 500

LOOP

Your voltage should go from·· (.something volts····· ·to 5 volts or higher·) ·and repeat for ever until you stop it

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/11/2009 2:17:27 AM GMT
    edited 2009-08-11 02:06
    yah i have it hooked up like that but i am only getting .59 volts out on pin 1c is that all i will be able to get or is there a way to get more
    edited 2009-08-11 02:11
    Tell me which pin #·is·for Gnd and what Pin # is for Com

Do you know that the notch on the IC chip on the left side is at the top of the IC is PIN 1

This is with the PINs facing down

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/11/2009 2:21:37 AM GMT
    edited 2009-08-11 02:26
    yah i know the notch is the top and the pin on the left of the notch is 1 b and the pin on the right is 1 c ok when i connect my tester to the 10 pin and the 1c pin i have the voltage needed to hit a 5 volt dc relay so i will get a 5 vdc relay and then have that control the 9 vdc relay and the 9 vdc relay will control the ac voltage i will also take your advice and use a 1 amp fast blow fuse on the ac in line so if somthing happends it will blow insted of blowing the chips and things
    edited 2009-08-11 02:32
    Dose the Voltage go between .62 to 5 volts with the routine that I gave you

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-08-11 02:33
    yah pin 9 is gnd and pin 10 is the com pin the pins are facing down and the notch is at the top of the chip thank you for all your helpt is realy great that you are willing to help people out like this i think i should also get a ac adaptor for the basic stamp my 9 volt batt is dead now thank you ever so much
    edited 2009-08-11 02:44
    You can get 9 volt regulator which can be hard to find and power your relay with that or you could use a 12 volt relay and a 12 volt regulator

you could ·do ether one

All you have to is change·COM pin to the output pin on the regulator

One more thing that I would say is if you where to use the Sharp solid state relay this is·the one that i was·tell you to use a 1 amp fast acting fuse on that one

It dose not hurt to always use a fast acting fuse when testing·any new circuit this is always a good idea safety first

I use a electronic fuse when I·test new·circuit set 1 amp

Please let us know if you get it to work

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/11/2009 2:57:16 AM GMT
    edited 2009-08-11 02:54
    yah the voltage does change like that thany you so much i wish there was a way to up the outout voltage more but i can do it this way to so thank you so verry much
    edited 2009-08-11 03:00
    There is just hook the COM pin to the Power supply if it is 9 volts and run it that way

If your power supply is 12 volts then ether get a 9 volt regulator IC chip or get a 12 volt regulator IC· and a 12 volt relay you can get these at

·Raido Shack

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-08-11 03:02
    ok thank you so verry much
    edited 2009-08-26 21:59
    i got it working assome now its so cool i cant beleve i finly got it built and working i am looking foirward to christmas to use it i have it going right now so i can enjoy it thank you so verry much for the help your assome
    edited 2009-08-27 04:18
    I am glad that you got it to work can you post your code that you used

and a few photos of the board that you are using

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-08-28 01:58
    i dont know what coad your are talking about but once i figure that out and take some pics i will post them ok
    edited 2009-08-28 21:34
    Post your Basic Stamp Code that you wrote for this Project that your was asking help

That is what I am asking when I said can you post your code that you used

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam