Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
StampPlot Doesn't — Parallax Forums

StampPlot Doesn't

MicheleMichele Posts: 23
edited 2009-08-10 20:33 in BASIC Stamp
This is a really odd one. I downloaded the latest version of StampPlot Pro. It installed OK, starts up OK, and even connects to my Stamp OK. But it doesn't plot anything. When I open the StampPlot debug window, the only way it shows me anything is if I check "RAW". Then I get a flood of numbers as fast as the screen can draw them, which is also odd since the Stamp is only generating one number per second. But nothing shows up on the graph. (The y-axis is scaled properly for the expected data). I've never used StampPlot before so I may be missing something obvious, but I really don't get it. The "Help" file is no help.

System: Acer Aspire One running XP SP3 talking to a Basic Stamp 2 Board of Education over a USB to serial converter cable using StampEditor 2.4.2. The Stamp program outputs data like this:

DEBUG DEC DCV / 100, ".", DEC2 DCV, ","

So I get output like "2.50,3.45,3.32," (etc., one number per second). The Stamp program is running correctly and its output appears in the Stamp's debug window. The PC is using a virtual COM port on COM7. StampPlot is set to accept ASCII comma-delimited data. And I do see the data in the StampPlot debug window, just way too much of it, and only if RAW is checked, and then no data on the graph. I'm stumped. Any ideas what's wrong here? Thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-10 20:04
    Download and read the StampPlot Pro documentation from the author's website (www.selmaware.com). There are also sample projects.

You can't just send numbers to it. StampPlot Pro is expecting commands to tell it what to do with the data it's receiving.
  • MicheleMichele Posts: 23
    edited 2009-08-10 20:33
    Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Seeing the example code pointed out the problem. All I needed to do was add a CR to the DEBUG line, like so:

DEBUG DEC DCV / 100, ".", DEC2 DCV, ",", CR

Now it's running like a champ!