Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Metronome Project. — Parallax Forums

The Metronome Project.

steambcsteambc Posts: 11
edited 2009-08-10 15:04 in BASIC Stamp
I'm currently working on making a metronome with a BS2 and I thought I'd chronicle it here instead of asking questions in multiple threads.

Intitial tests are good. I've been testing the basic stamp's time-keeping capabilities using pause statements and the timing is rock-solid when syncing with a real, crystal-based metronome.

I want this metronome to have a tactile output as well as audible, so that during a live performance the user can feel the beat, thereby overcoming the problem of ambient noise.

My goals for the device are as follows:
User can select either·3/4 or 4/4 time.
Accent on the first beat of the measure.
Can handle anywhere from 20 bpm (beats per minute) to 300 bpm.
Can store 20 "presets" so instead of the user having to punch in a tempo before each song, he can store 20 tempos by song name so they can be recalled sequentially or randomly.
Tempos either punched in numerically or via a pot. I want to stay away from RC timers, though, because of component value drift as the components age.
LCD display.
Some kind of keypad for punching in tempos and song names.
Some kind of pulsing or vibrating device that the user will wear against his skin in order to detect the tempo silently.

For the tactile feedback, would it be best to use some kind of vibrating device or a solenoid that clicks instead? It seems that a vibrating device would be useless at higher tempos because they seem to have to spool up & spool down when they operate. I would think that a solenoid that clicks on & off would have a· faster response time. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Brian
·