Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless stamp to stamp system — Parallax Forums

Wireless stamp to stamp system

Steve2381Steve2381 Posts: 94
edited 2009-08-10 20:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hello clever people.

Ok. I have been playing around with Holtek HT12D/HT12E chips and a 418Mhz wireless link and achieved the desired 8 address + 4 data bit communication (although with grief - see other post!)
I however need 7 bits of data. I was hoping to come up with a system using a pair of the above chips, but it just doesn't work for various reasons.
Holtek used to make an 8 bit encoder/decoder pair, but they have been discontinued and I cannot find any other - easily available replacements.

So, I was thinking of using a pair of BS1 stamps? I realise the BS1 can only send 8 bits + 1 stop bit using SEROUT, but if I have 2x SEROUT commands immediately after each other, the first could send out the 8 bit address (set in the software to save on IC pins), and then the second SEROUT actually carries the state of the 7 stamp pins I need.
Am I talking tat?

Ideally, I would use 2x BS2 stamps with greater serial capabilities and more bits, but they are too expensive to use for such a mundane job (why are stamps still so expensive?? - hasn't component cost dropped?).

Otherwise, does anyone know of an 8 bit encoder/decoder IC pair or kit?

Thanks guys
Steve

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-08-10 12:44
    It's commonplace to send out Word-sized variables as two consecutive Bytes (through serial interfaces), and then reconstruct them on the receiving side. There is no underlying reason why what you're proposing wouldn't work. It seems pretty straightforward.
  • Steve2381Steve2381 Posts: 94
    edited 2009-08-10 20:16
    Yea, I thought it would work. Still going to be £45 for a couple of BS1's however. I was hoping for a slightly cheaper option