Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can a metronome be made with BS2? — Parallax Forums

Can a metronome be made with BS2?

steambcsteambc Posts: 11
edited 2009-08-09 04:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. I got a BS2 a year ago and played around with it for a while, basically creating different blinking led displays.

I want to make a programmable metronome, and I'm wondering if this is feasible with the Basic Stamp.

Here are the features I want:
Fairly accurate in keeping time but doesn't have to be perfect.
Beats per minute selected digitally via switches, not with a pot.
Has a text capable display for human interface.
Can store 20 presets. A preset would be a shortened name of a song plus its appropriate beats per minute setting.

Is this possible to accomplish with the BS2? If not, is there another precessor that would be well suited for this purpose.

Thanks to all for any info you can give me.

Brian

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-08 19:28
    Yes, it can be done. A number of time-related statements like PAUSE and FREQOUT are quite accurate. You'll have to do the checking for control switches in with the pauses between beats. There's no absolute time standard, but you will be able to measure the time spent in this sort of housekeeping and adjust the pauses between the beats to compensate. The preset names could be stored in EEPROM along with the program. There are several displays that Parallax carries that are small, low power, and can display alphanumerics. You might consider a keypad rather than discrete switches.
  • steambcsteambc Posts: 11
    edited 2009-08-09 04:14
    Thanks Mike,

I appreciate that great information. Excellent idea about the keypad.

I'm going to start programming it and look into the displays.

I appreciate your taking the trouble to steer me in the right direction.

Brian