Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Show your projects on Parallax.com and receive credit toward Parallax products. — Parallax Forums

Show your projects on Parallax.com and receive credit toward Parallax products.

Lauren DavisLauren Davis Posts: 313
edited 2012-01-09 10:15 in Robotics
Show your projects on Parallax.com and receive credit toward Parallax products.

Customer applications may be submitted to share@parallax.com, please use "Customer Application Submission" as the subject line.

We require the following information for a project to be considered for review:
  • Detailed description about the application (3 paragraph minimum)
  • BASIC Stamp, SX, or Propeller source code
  • Schematics and diagrams (where applicable)
  • Minimum of 3 high resolution digital pictures (at least one picture with the Parallax product in the application; pictures should be included separately and not embedded within a word document).

If we accept your application, you will be eligible to receive $100 of free Parallax hardware.

Please Note: Projects that too closely resemble applications already posted to this web-site will not be considered for review. A new commercial product category has also been started.· If you have a commercial product using a BASIC Stamp module or an interpreter chip you may also submit your entries to Parallax.

We look forward to seeing and showing your projects!

Click here for customer applications on the Parallax website: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/271/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·
Lauren Davis
Marketing Manager
Parallax, Inc.
916-624-8333
ldavis@parallax.com
·

Post Edited (Lauren Davis (Parallax)) : 8/7/2009 11:31:58 PM GMT

Comments

• MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-11-14 19:50
    Once an Email is sent how long will it take to get a reply?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·
    Want cheap wholesale electronic parts?
    Transistor parts wholesale
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-11-17 17:47
    You should get a reply within a week or so. Sometimes the marketing team is at events such as is the case currently. =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
    edited 2009-11-18 01:48
    Ahh.... I submitted one exactly a week ago and have been expecting reply. Soon I'll have another!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·
    Want cheap wholesale electronic parts?
    Transistor parts wholesale
    edited 2009-11-18 15:19
    Yeah, they're on a business trip currently so it may take a little bit, but rest assured, they will get back to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-02-27 04:08
    is there a minimum to like how big the project is? and what if we cant provide schematics, is that ok?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

·Thomas Jefferson
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-02-27 06:53
    logan996, yes, that's often okay. We tend to favor projects that have a complete description, quality photos, nice workmanship, and creative applications. This doesn't mean you have to include a schematic, but be sure that the material you submit is your best effort. There's a whole lot of reasons to reject some of the projects we receive, just so you know. We might already be listing an identical application, for example. It's important not to take it personally if that happens. We're in a tough position when we ask for customer applications - you guys made the company what it is, yet we run the risk of creating disappointment from the very folks we appreciate.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2010-03-01 22:00
    So making something simple like just a circut on the BS2 breadboard that does something realativly simple would not count right? even if it looked neat and every instruction was followed exactly?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

·Thomas Jefferson
    edited 2010-03-01 22:00
    So making something simple like just a circut on the BS2 breadboard that does something realativly simple would not count right? even if it looked neat and every instruction was followed exactly?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·Thomas Jefferson
    edited 2010-03-04 17:36
    That's a hard question to answer without details, however if your project is right out of the "What's a Microcontroller?" book that doesn't count. Many projects posted to the Completed Projects were moved to the robotics section because it was merely the completion of a stock BOE-Bot or Sumo-Bot with nothing unique or added to it. If you project does something like blink LED patterns, it may be competing against more practical objects. I think the projects customers want to see would be something that would make them want to pick up the microcontroller and make something similar out of it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2010-03-07 18:06
    I just posted this yesterday on finishd projects: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=433801 if i provide a schematic and some pictures of it working in the Debug terminal will it count? I've made the Code up entirely by myself

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
    edited 2010-03-07 18:13
    and sorry i forgot but all the other required info

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
    edited 2010-03-08 16:05
    Logan,

What you are writing are small apps for the BASIC Stamp. These don't really count as projects and I have already moved one such thread to the BASIC Stamps forum. Please read the sticky regarding what is expected of projects posted here. The spirit of this board is to provide a place for members to be able to see the kind of projects that others have built, and perhaps make their own, possibly modifying/customizing the project along the way.

Applications are not well-suited to microcontrollers but rather to a PC. Micrcontrollers are more suited to interfacing to hardware and receiving input, making decisions and controlling the outputs. Even then the project should be unique and even challenging. Pressing a button and lighting an LED meets the criteria of my description above, but not of the Completed Project guidelines. I hope this helps. Best Regards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2010-03-08 20:07
    ok i didn't thinl they would count, but thanks anyway. I'll try to create my own moving and workable robot

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • bubby9534bubby9534 Posts: 36
    edited 2010-08-27 16:02
    How many projects must I submit before I can recieve free products?
    edited 2010-08-30 11:40
    Just 1, at least, that's how it worked for my project.
    edited 2010-08-31 15:28
    So you got $100 just for posting a finished project?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-08-31 20:09
    Bubby,
    You have to submit your project and get approval, as opposed to just U/L'ing here as a "Completed Project." There's a form, etc., the details are at the top.
    edited 2010-09-01 09:20
    Ok, thanks.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-09-01 10:10
    bubby9534, I should let everybody know that we don't accept all projects. There's no credit for submitting many projects - we're looking for new ideas, quality documentation with photos and videos, and near-professional schematics and code.
    edited 2010-09-02 08:18
    This is my project I submitted, just as an example.
    http://www.parallax.com/tabid/827/Default.aspx
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-07-28 18:34
    Where's the Beef!

This was a good idea, but what happened? where are these projects? The new website is full of the old website stuff, and if I am wrong, I certainly don't know what is new. The project forums have some new projects, but they seem to lack a pdf outline or instructions for their projects. They seem to fit some criteria, but not all the criteria.

My project is for guys like me that love racing, cars, or anything that has an engine that we can make faster. For people that don't know what the Propeller can do, and buy the pieces at Radio Shack and Parallax. The project can be applied to a teenager's first car, the family car, a race car, or an old farts street rod.

How do I know my project isn't going to just collect dust here?

Sincerely

Bill M.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-07-28 20:16
    To be eligible for the "credits", you have to get prior approval. (Refer to the initial post.)

Posting here doesn't imply that the project is part of the "approved projects" scheme (as outlined in the initial post.)

I don't know how you could know (predict, be assured) that your project won't collect dust. You can't make people like it. If it's interesting then it'll remain active, but, no matter what, it'll go inactive over time. All things must pass.

Is that reasonable?
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2011-07-29 09:46
    I was looking for an official response.

I don't care about credits

If my project can't be found, then it won't help anybody else, and there is no need to post it.
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2011-07-29 14:06
    The submitted customer applications that have gone through the review process end up here:
    Customer Applications and Contests

Browse path:
    Home > Resources > Applications and Contests

When a project completes the review phase and is published to the website we do our best, using the current resources, to make its launch publicly known; this usually means twitter, facebook, or an announcement on the forums. If someone asks about a particular project when they call, write, or otherwise contact us we use the projects on the site as reference guides. The resources are there for those that look for it and these pages are browsed regularly.

You're correct though, the beef gets dusty and that's just due to the nature of the internet. We're developing new means to categorize and display the data on the site, and we've been working on this structure for sometime. We want to be sure that people coming to the site trying to find relevant projects or information can quickly gain access to what they seek; however at this moment with the public site PJ Allen has the gist of it. I can't promise people will use the resources we offer, or will offer in the future, but they're there.

We really want to be sure that the word of our products gets out into the world; if you ever have a project that you feel is worthy of note then there is nothing holding you back from posting the project through other medium. We will help when we can and are happy to do so.

Mike Davey made that Turning Machine concept and he ran with it. His project made it through a number of blogs, engineering sites, and all else. He did the marketing for that project, he made it available, and he went out and talked about it. We just posted it on our site and gave him credit, which is all we can do.

As far as the future of the projects on our site is concerned: we're working on including them to relevant product pages and resources, so people buying xxxxxxxx will find associated applications and projects using xxxxxxxx.

I hope this answered your question.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2011-08-01 06:38
    Hey guys, Let's try and respond with helpful answers.

Thanks,

Dave
  • error404error404 Posts: 1
    edited 2011-11-15 00:11
    If I would like to send a poject to parallax should I write the comments in the source code in english?
  • RL600RL600 Posts: 40
    edited 2012-01-08 01:20
    Hi,
    Can you still send ideas to share@parallax.com
    Recently I have send an idea but the reply was "delivery has failed".
    So yesterday I send it again, and I want to know if it came over.
    RL600
  • Lauren DavisLauren Davis Posts: 313
    edited 2012-01-09 10:15
    Error404 - Yes, please write comments in English.

RL600 - Please try sending it again. We did not receive the project. Try to keep the project less then 10MB, less then 5MB is preferable. If you need to send multiple emails to keep email size low that is fine as well.

Thank you,
    Lauren