Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Home Powerlines to Transmit Audio - project — Parallax Forums

Using Home Powerlines to Transmit Audio - project

Stylish-EngineerStylish-Engineer Posts: 13
edited 2011-02-02 14:35 in BASIC Stamp
my i idea is Using Home Powerlines to Transmit Audio how can i do it ? knowing that our frequancy in kuwait is 60HZ

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-06 14:23
    There isn't any way to do this using a Stamp.

Sending anything over the powerline requires two things:
    1) Isolation of the secondary circuit from the powerline for safety and protection of the circuit. In addition to the power, there is electrical noise, some with very high voltage.
    2) Avoiding 60Hz and its immediate multiples (like 120Hz).

For something like audio, you'd typically use a carrier in the ultrasonic range (30-40KHz) and modulate this with the audio. You might be able to find sample circuits by doing a web search, but, because of the danger (from the powerline) and the difficult signalling conditions (lots of noise) this would not be a simple project.
  • Stylish-EngineerStylish-Engineer Posts: 13
    edited 2009-08-06 14:37
    im looking to use Low Pass Filter and high pass filters and band pas filters , and Frequency Modulated Oscillator , is it will work fine >?

look to the attachemnt plz

Post Edited (Stylish-Engineer) : 8/6/2009 2:42:15 PM GMT
    1024 x 768 - 54K
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-06 14:44
    This is not the proper forum for this topic. It's for discussions related to the Stamp. The Sandbox forum is the best place for discussions about things that don't fit anywhere else.

The general sketch you showed in your 2nd message could work. How well depends on details that are beyond any discussion here.
  • Marka32Marka32 Posts: 41
    edited 2009-08-08 01:42
    At the risk of continuing this discussion in the wrong place, I would like to point out that Popular Electronics did a construction article on such a device, and it seems that it didn't use anything too unusual. I could dig up the article, if you're really interested, but I have to agree with Mike. I see no advantage to using a Stamp.
  • edited 2009-08-09 14:14
    Look into HomePlug and Arkados. Russound is releasing their collage system soon, which utilizes those elements.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-08-09 19:53
    www.google.com/search?q=powerline+audio+system&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • nasrinanasrina Posts: 3
    edited 2011-01-30 22:49
    we want to Know how we can coupling a dc circut to an AC power line?

again our project in about "transmit audio over AC power line"
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-01-31 04:32
    Obviously, this "subject" should have been purged -- a year and a half ago!
  • nasrinanasrina Posts: 3
    edited 2011-02-01 22:46
    i need some help with coupling the circuit with AC power line,
    how i can connect the isolation transformer to the to the AC (120 V, 60Hz), is that going to be safe for the circuit?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-02-02 04:31
    This Forum is for discussion of Basic Stamps and related matters.
    Safety is as safety does.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-02-02 05:15
    nasrina wrote: »
    i need some help with coupling the circuit with AC power line,
    how i can connect the isolation transformer to the to the AC (120 V, 60Hz), is that going to be safe for the circuit?

Not with you designing it!
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2011-02-02 10:38
    It can be, but you've got a lot of research to do. I'm not going into the safety, because that should be apparent.

I BELIEVE you are actually going to use the 60Hz 110VAC voltage as a "carrier" very similar to how FM radio works. You would inject a higher frequency onto the carrier then the receiving circuit will need a highpass filter to pull the data in. (FM radio is injecting a lower freq signal on a high freq carrier)

Putting DC on 110VAC is probably not a good idea and I doubt it will work... I'm assuming you just used the wrong words here.

I have heard of a speaker system that transmitter over house wiring..... and another that transmit internet / computer communication over the wiring. I've never of heard anyone actually using this. Maybe it has problems I dunno.

Good luck and be careful. I'd do a LOT of reading first.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,241
    edited 2011-02-02 14:35
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    Safety is as safety does.
    Perfect paraphase for this topic.

I fail to grasp where the Basic Stamp fits into this project. Did I miss something?