Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Making a Follow Me BOE-Bot. Wanna Play?? — Parallax Forums

Making a Follow Me BOE-Bot. Wanna Play??

RoboticsProfessorRoboticsProfessor Posts: 54
edited 2009-08-02 04:49 in BASIC Stamp
I'll be making a Follow Me Robot for demo purposes in my electronics/robotics classes.
I expect to build it in phases, and clearly document it all so that others can follow along or build it later.

Phase 1:
- Robot runs around occasionally changing direction randomly.
- Whiskers for obstruction detection

Phase 2:
- Add I/R near detection, either the BOE-Bot IR or maybe sharp sensors.

Phase 3:
- Add Ping))) sensor for object avoidance.

Phase 4:
- Put Ping on a servo and program Ping to look for clearest path around obstacles.

Phase 5:
- Program BOE-Bot to follow me around the school. Probably using RF transmitter/receiver.

Eventually I will scale this up to a cart that carries all my books and papers around the campus.

If anyone wants to build one of these along with me, let me know. Otherwise, I'll post the phases on my web site as they get completed.

http://www.RichardVannoy.info
RoboticsProfessor@gmail.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Richard Vannoy

Programming and Electronics Instructor
www.RichardVannoy.info
·

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-08-01 05:13
    I've been trying to think of a simple way to have my robot follow me around and carry my stuff too. Although it is a bit bigger than a Boe-Bot, it uses an electric wheelchair as the base.

I was thinking that I could wear a hat with an IR beacon that continuously sends out a code, a code which I could modify to alter the behavior of the bot. I think that is the easier part.

For sensing I was planning to use an array of 16 IR sensors arranged in a circle. Each IR sensor has a field of view of about 50 degrees. Depending on which sensors pick up the signal it could determine my bearing with accuracy to 15 degrees. If another array was mounted 2 ft away it could also get a course range measurement.

The goal is to have a robot that will follow me, and only me, at a set distance. It needs to be able to cope with obstacle avoidance, especially people walking past it.

Do you think my approach is feasible? I'm trying to avoid using moving parts.

Rich H
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2009-08-01 16:51
    I want to do the same thing. Here is my platform I have started with

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=824347

I am very interested in the follow me aspect also. Right now the SuperBOE)))is autonomous using the roaming PING and IR via 1 program and remote control via another program. I want to add one more program for "Follow me" and combine all three programs into one if possible. I understand I might need to upgrade to a different stamp with more speed and memory or add multiple stamps for handling each program.

Lets talk!!!!
  • RoboticsProfessorRoboticsProfessor Posts: 54
    edited 2009-08-01 17:13
    Rich H:

I'm still debating/researching the technology for the robot to use to follow me. Seems like the best choices are IR or RF.

IR sounds good but it is pretty much line-of-sight. I would really like the robot to be able to follow if I leave the classroom and go to my office. With IR, I have to keep the robot in sight. (Which wouldn't be a big deal.) I suspect a coded pulse would be necessary to eliminate other sources.

Several sites are now selling a reasonably priced radio frequency transmitter/receiver pair suitable for robots.
    The advantage to RF is that I can turn a corner or be on the other side of a wall and the robot will still try to approach me.

Both methods have problems with bad or confusing reflections. I have a student team working with the new RF modules, so I'll know more about RF soon.

My "large" platform is a three-foot high, three-shelf audio/video cart that is typical in schools. I'm also thinking about wheel chair parts for power and motors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Richard Vannoy

www.RichardVannoy.info
    ·
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-08-01 18:20
    Could you explain how you plan to use the RF modules? I don't understand how the RF modules will help the robot to know your location unless you are communicating your location to it.

My interpretation of "follow me" for a robot is much the same as for a human. If the human loses sight of the person they are supposed to follow then they have to make a decision on what to do next. They may choose to continue on to the last known location, make a guess on which way to head based on where they just were, or just stop and wait for help. Turning corners and disappearing from sight just isn't fair unless your destination is already known to the follower. When I tell my robot to follow me, I will have to make sure that I don't lose it - much the same way as when I tell a human to follow me.

For your purposes it seems that the "follow me" as I have described it would work just fine. If the robot did lose you it could decide which room it should go to based upon the time of day. Or you could send it a message via RF that says "come to my office", that's assuming it would know how to get there.

Rich H
  • RoboticsProfessorRoboticsProfessor Posts: 54
    edited 2009-08-01 20:45
    Parallax has a 433 MHz RF Tranceiver package. See it at:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/rf/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/111/Default.aspx

My students have the idea of putting the receiver inside a baffle, making it somewhat directional. If the robot does a 360 degree turn, it should be able to detect a stronger signal in one direction. Then the robot can turn, head in that direction, and change behavior (search again) if the signal degrades or is lost.

The jump between 1) "Search for a signal and head in the direction where it seems strongest." and 2) "Find the teacher somewhere in the building, and go to his desk if you get lost" is significant. I'm sure the BOE-Bot, on it's own, can't handle the processing power and mapping of option 2. For now I'd stick with line-of-sight and maybe later add the computing power needed for mapping.

One student wants to use a PC and write code in Python to make a visible map on the screen and track the robot throughout the building. The PC, in this way could assist the robot in getting around.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Richard Vannoy

www.RichardVannoy.info
    ·
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-08-01 20:56
    Bluetooth may be another option. The hard part will be limiting the signal strength I would imagine. IR would be better for being close but much more directional and can't go through anything. Just a thought. Sharp sensors for sure for bigger bots. Limited experience.
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-08-01 21:39
    Maybe you could use sound and speakers? I'm sure there are rangefinders out there that can be set to only transmit or recieve sound which could then be used to find a persons location by finding the direction the sound is loudest. Just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG

Post Edited (Pi Guy) : 8/1/2009 9:55:08 PM GMT
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-08-01 21:47
    Instead of speakers, how about Sneekers ?

As in those LED flashing shoes all the kids have worn to the point they're already going out of style. Just tune the bot to the flashing sequence ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-01 21:53
    lol thx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2009-08-02 04:43
    What about Pings. You transmit the sound via ping and your bot follows via Ping if possible
    edited 2009-08-02 04:49
    Or something more sophisticated try the 10 degree heat sensor to track the person.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG